Dead coyote on my back patio

I was blowing after I finished mowing yesterday evening and walked up the steps to the back patio and to my surprise this guy was dead in front of the door. It couldn’t have been there more than a few hours. No signs of injury. Surprised me a bit!

Attachments

• 6E5DF067-A0EA-4CCC-9A0C-A4CF0361AB4E.jpeg
    6E5DF067-A0EA-4CCC-9A0C-A4CF0361AB4E.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 0E09F269-7B4C-4006-B7A2-72882DA5AF4E.jpeg
    0E09F269-7B4C-4006-B7A2-72882DA5AF4E.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 193
Somebody may be leaving poison out for animals. Something similar happened in my neighborhood. Found a dead rat, skunk, and deer... and this was just in my yard.

Not knowing any details about your situation (city, suburbs,country), I might be inclined to call the local wildlife control agency (APHIS?) to see if they are interested. You never know if there might be some kind of disease etc. that is ramping up in your area. Or, as Kestas brought up, maybe someone doing illegal control activities.

Somebody may be leaving poison out for animals. Something similar happened in my neighborhood. Found a dead rat, skunk, and deer... and this was just in my yard.
That was kind of my thinking as well. We live on 3.5 acres but in a subdivision. Tons of deer here (80+sq mile but I think it’s even higher than that) as well as coyotes and other wildlife. I haven’t seen anything else dead and my neighbors didn’t say anything about poison but I doubt they would if they were baiting them.

Not knowing any details about your situation (city, suburbs,country), I might be inclined to call the local wildlife control agency (APHIS?) to see if they are interested. You never know if there might be some kind of disease etc. that is ramping up in your area. Or, as Kestas brought up, maybe someone doing illegal control activities.

I live in a suburb and called the county police and the dept of conservation last night. The police just gave me a number for a pet cremation place. I tried the local number in your link for MO and left a message. I doubt I’ll hear back til Tuesday if at all. It’s currently in the back of my property and I put a deer camera on it to see what, if anything, comes for it. From some brief internet searching it might not get eaten at all.

Wild animals do also die of old age. Last year I was beginning a walk in south park on a road that often had several chipmunks and one of them was walking across the road and it just stopped. I walked up to it an it was dead. It was near the side of the road. I used a stick to push it off the road.

It should be examined for rabies. That is the domain of the state / county health department not the wildlife conservation.

I hope my overworked New Jersey doctor gives me a 24 hour head start so I can die in Nebraska. Seems so innocent there 🤕

Your local animal control should handle this. Give it some time and it’s going to get rank. You don’t want that smell near your house.

I’ve called/left messages for all the departments I can think of. If they want to come get it 4 days after it died, fine with me. Otherwise, I think it’s going to get eaten/rot in a corner of my back yard which is at least 100 yards from my house. If it gets that stinky that I can smell it, I’ll move it further into common ground from the house. I’m not paying hundred$ to have an animal cremation service remove it and I’m definitely not losing sleep over a dead coyote as I have small children and will have dogs again in the future. I just thought it was interesting that it died right at the back door.

"All Forms That Perish, Other Forms Supply, By Turns We Catch The Vital Breath And Die,Like Bubbles On A Sea Of Matter Borne,They Rise They Break And To That Sea Return"
Is that like a 60’s song by The Byrds ? 🍄

Last edited:
I’ve called/left messages for all the departments I can think of. If they want to come get it 4 days after it died, fine with me. Otherwise, I think it’s going to get eaten/rot in a corner of my back yard which is at least 100 yards from my house. If it gets that stinky that I can smell it, I’ll move it further into common ground from the house. I’m not paying hundred$ to have an animal cremation service remove it and I’m definitely not losing sleep over a dead coyote as I have small children and will have dogs again in the future. I just thought it was interesting that it died right at the back door.

I agree with your general concept completely and admittedly, most of the yotes in my area suffer from terminal applications of kinetic trauma so the question I'm about to pose is usually moot.

Without knowing the true cause of death, you have one who apparentally decided to avoid his instincts and come into a human area to die.

This could indicate some disease or condition ( and just as easily be nothing too- not trying to be an alarmist)

I would pull it off and bury/burn the remain and decontaminate the known final resting area substantially.

Back