DCT oil viscosity

Is there any significant difference between vis @ 100°C of 7 and 8? My VW DSG is nice and crisp on cool starts and up to about 165. When the trans oil temp is around 165 or less its pretty **** good. On hot days 85-90 it gets up around 205 and I really notice a decline in shift quickness. It actually starts to shift pretty bad. Overall as it warms I notice it gets progressively slower in the shifts. Id like to try a thicker fluid and the most I can find is Redline at 8.09. Im currently using Pentosin FFL2 I believe is high 6s low 7s. Is there any real world difference in a 7 or 8 vis @100C? Am I wasting my time? Im not concerned with extreme cold performance as this car is parked from the time they put salt on the road till spring. I drive an 07 ford focus during the salty months lol

The difference probably won't matter that much. Remember that 100C = 212F, or just above the temps your transmission sees. What is the normal operating temp the DSG should see? Is that 205 normal, or is that considered overheating?

Valvoline DCT fluid is a good price on Amazon. Amalie also makes a good DCT fluid, but it's sold by the case of 12 rather than 6

Back