DB Electrical alternators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here a have experience with DB Electrical alternators ( new aftermarket product made in China I presume) ? Thanks

I've got one of their slow speed single wire alternators on my 69 JD 3020 tractor. I actually bought the whole 12V conversions kit from them, has worked fine.

I think if it this way. How long will you keep the vehicle after the part is replaced? If you don't have a hard sell date for the car, put good parts in it. If you are selling the car private party, put good parts in it so you don't get angry folks looking out up saying you cheated them.

If you're going to keep the car for the forseeable future, PUT GOOD PARTS IN. The only time I deviate from that is if the part is no critical like an AC blower fan or accessory thinggee that would allow the car to continue to be used while I wait for the good part to come in. Then it is weighing how much cheaper is the part vs how much effort it is to change it. If I never want to do that job again I put the good part in.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
I think if it this way. How long will you keep the vehicle after the part is replaced? If you don't have a hard sell date for the car, put good parts in it. If you are selling the car private party, put good parts in it so you don't get angry folks looking out up saying you cheated them.

If you're going to keep the car for the forseeable future, PUT GOOD PARTS IN. The only time I deviate from that is if the part is no critical like an AC blower fan or accessory thinggee that would allow the car to continue to be used while I wait for the good part to come in. Then it is weighing how much cheaper is the part vs how much effort it is to change it. If I never want to do that job again I put the good part in.

Good parts pay off.

how difficult is the access to replace? if its easy, take a chance. if its difficult, get a better part. or, just get a better part to begin with.
the only attraction to that part is low price.

It depends on what kind of vehicle are we talking about?
This type of question without mentioning the vehicle generates a lot of wandering philosophical discussion that leads to nowhere. LOL!!!

JMHO.

My experience is I had to walk home with no shoes after a "quick run" to pick up a kid from practice. When asked about warranty they had no record of my purchase. Never again. Lasted less than 1 year.

I say pass. I put one on my 2006 F-150 King Ranch with the 5.4L engine and I had to return it. It didn't undercharge, but my check charging system notification started coming on. I replaced it with a Remy alternator from Rock Auto and have not had a single problem since.

I was alternator hunting a couple months ago and looked all over internet forums for a consensus on brands.
From reading lots of forums:
DB Electrical used to be considered very good, then around five or so years ago people started complaining that they were going the cheap Chinese route. There are fewer complaints about that than there used to be, so either people stopped buying DB as much, or maybe they improved the quality again since then. China can make quality parts if a company wants them to.

DB does apparently make NEW alternators, not remanned ones. (at least for some models.) Various remanufactured ones from various companies might still have various original parts that might then fail early. So it can be hard to tell what you're getting from a remanufactured one.

Lots of people say get your current alternator rebuilt at a good local rebuilder. Though they rarely ever say how to find a good local rebuilder.

Plenty of praise for Remy alts. They're associated with AC Delco. Which doesn't mean as much as it used to, but it's something.

The dealer quoted me over $700 for a new factory alt. I was leaning towards a Remy reman, but then happened upon a new open-box DB for 1/3rd the price of the Remy so based on how I use that particular vehicle I figured give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back