Daylight Savings Time - Yes or No?

Being in AZ where we don't change, it still affects us, a little bit. If you call people in another zone, you have to be careful to not call too early or late. I never remember which zone we're in, whether we're Pacific or Mountain. Since it's about to change, I DO know at this point after talking to a buddy in CO multiple times over the past few months. Pick one and keep it!

Scheduled TV broadcasts come on an hour later since Hawaii receives the west coast feed so that's the only thing affecting us.

Just wanted to say something in a DST thread since we don't observe DST.

1710099517595.jpg

Different places experience it differently. In the deeeep south there isn't as pronounced difference in winter and summer day lengths so it is really nice to get an extra hour of daylight in the summer afternoons. Meanwhile a place like Chattanooga on the trailing edge of the time zone is in perpetual DST. Going forward an extra hour in summer means it is still partially light at 9:00 pm and the kids don't want to go inside. Almost too much. Where I live now it is daylight at 5:30 AM in the summer even with DST. Can't imagine how miserable it would be getting woke up by the birds chirping at 4:30 without DST.

The time zones are, in some cases, too large. Maine to Michigan and Indiana in the Eastern Zone makes no geographic sense. Its that large because, back when it was set up, businessmen thought it would be advantageous to be on the same time as New York, Boston and Philadelphia.

Newfoundland got it right. Based on their longitude, they are in their own time zone, a half hour ahead of the Atlantic time zone.
you think ours are too big...
China has 1 time zone.
a country every bit as large as the US( crosses 5 time zones outside it's borders), the whole place operates on Beijing time...
looking at the way they are laid out on the map, it would be like the entire lower 48 operating on eastern time. so for example, Sunrise in SF would be @ 10:27a today, and sunset @10:12p..

This. Not only autistics, but everyone struggles with the change; science has shown that there are negative health effects for everyone and getting up earlier.

This argument is pretty bad. "science" can show whatever we want it to show, but nobody bats an eye when the world stays up (on average) 2 hours longer every new years eve, or gets up 2 hours early to get a head start on a vacation.

There are some exceptions of course, but the vast majority of people should not even notice the difference. If you can, then you may want to work on your health as there is no way a healthy person is getting bothered by this in any way. "increased heart attack rates" etc, I've heard it all but those people were going to have a heart attack with or without the time change.

I happen to like the twice yearly change, keep the sun and daylight when I want it most.

you think ours are too big...
China has 1 time zone.
a country every bit as large as the US( crosses 5 time zones outside it's borders), the whole place operates on Beijing time...
looking at the way they are laid out on the map, it would be like the entire lower 48 operating on eastern time. so for example, Sunrise in SF would be @ 10:27a today, and sunset @10:12p..
China uses only half of their land. Chonqing is in the middle of the country but they call it west China. Not much going on in the western part of China.

1710110538313.jpg

I just wish they’d pick one, don’t care which. Getting the kids up for church this morning was a miserable experience and nobody was happy.

DST needs to be abolished. Should've been years ago. I like having more daylight in the evenings but dang, I don't need it clear up to almost 9:30 at night. Yes, I know, that won't be until the end of June, beginning of July but still, I don't like my days being cut short. Sure, it'll be nice getting to come home an hour earlier but that also means I gotta get up an hour earlier and go to bed an hour earlier.

Back