Dayco timing belts OK?

My wife's 2016 Acura RDX V6 will need a new timing belt in about a year. I happened to be at an indy shop the other day and asked for a general estimate for a timing belt kit install and was quoted $600ish, which seemed reasonable. I asked what kit they used and he said Dayco. He said they would install an Aisin if I brought it in. Looking on RockAuto the Dayco kit is actually more expensive than the Aisin kit. It does not include the water pump gasket but does include a bolt (don't know what kind, doesn't look like a crank bolt) and a washer with a locking tab that the Aisin kit doesn't.

Has anyone had any experience with the Dayco kit for Honda/Acura V6's?

There is nothing wrong with Dayco. I have used their timing kits several times and never had a problem with them. I do prefer their serpentine belts over Gates since they seem to go a very long time without belt noise. I never had a Gates belt stay silent over a year.

People gravitate towards the Aisin kit due its high quality. With the exception of the timing belt (made in Singapore), everything else in the Aisin kit is made in Japan. The Dayco kit will probably have Chinese parts.

That being said - I had a Dayco kit installed on my old Hyundai years ago and it worked fine.

People gravitate towards the Aisin kit due its high quality. With the exception of the timing belt (made in Singapore), everything else in the Aisin kit is made in Japan. The Dayco kit will probably have Chinese parts.

That being said - I had a Dayco kit installed on my old Hyundai years ago and it worked fine.
The TB in that kit is usually Thailand.
Aisin makes a better kit than Dayco. But your shop probably prefers Dayco due to an alliance with a particular wholesaler who only carries Dayco.

Has anyone had any experience with the Dayco kit for Honda/Acura V6's?

Wouldn't use anything but Aisin on a Honda. It's a roll of the dice where Dayco sources their components and for something you only have to do every 100,000 miles, why take a chance. The last time I bought a water pump from Dayco it was made in China, which was the last time I bought anything from Dayco. The Aisin kit has name brand parts made in Japan. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1798456&cc=3342172&jsn=837

Dayco timing belts are mostly made in Italy. The TB itself is probably fine, but I'd be worried about the rest of the kit being mostly cheap Chinese parts.

The Aisin kit remains the gold standard for Japanese cars with timing belts. Although the Mitsuboshi TB is usually made in Thailand, Singapore, or Indonesia (though I have seen some made in the US), the rest of the parts are usually made in Japan and reboxed OE. Too bad they can't include the OEM belt from Japan :cry:

Dayco timing belts are mostly made in Italy. The TB itself is probably fine, but I'd be worried about the rest of the kit being mostly cheap Chinese parts.

The Aisin kit remains the gold standard for Japanese cars with timing belts. Although the Mitsuboshi TB is usually made in Thailand, Singapore, or Indonesia (though I have seen some made in the US), the rest of the parts are usually made in Japan and reboxed OE. Too bad they can't include the OEM belt from Japan :cry:
It was the water pump, pulleys, and tensioner that I was concerned with in the Dayco kit. I've had good luck with their belts in the past. I'll either have an Aisin kit installed or take it to a Honda dealer and get OEM parts installed.

The bolt that Dayco comes with is for the tensioner, looks like that's what that plate is for as well. Seems odd to me since that bolt is easily reused and Honda doesn't use anything like that plate, so I'm wondering why they felt the need to redesign that part.

Same issue with Gates "Kits".....I'd trust the belt but little to nothing else in the kit. I'd rather slip a new OE belt on & let the rest ride than replace stuff with junk.

Genuine Mitsuboshi is good no matter the COO.

Back