Daughter, car, and belongings coast to coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend had her stuff shipped via greyhound. I think she signed up using busfreighter.com. was not too expensive to ship a lot of stuff but it takes longer than a regular shipper. The car will be expensive regardless of how it goes.

Shipping wars is U ship. I checked to have a Yamaha IT shipping from Boston to Florida. Wasn't impressed. I found a cheap shipper on Craigslist coming for Bike week and got it brought down cheap. I live near Daytona, so it worked Great. Nothing will sort friends out better than traveling together. I used to like to travel with new girlfriends, you ll learn a lot in a car. I think I would enjoy a Road trip with either of my kids and Winter would be even better yet.

Originally Posted By: expat
How much did the Iowa to WA trip cost?
(just to give you an idea of what a road trip costs)

How much is the car worth?

Why did she not just leave the car in Iowa in the first place?

There is a time and place for Road trips. the Northern states at this time of year is not it.

Nothing wrong with a road trip this time of year. Just have to use good judgement. Check the weather forecast, and plan accordingly. I've gone cross country many times. Both solo, and with others(only stopped for gas and food. saved money, but very exhausting). And that was before cell phones and GPS.

Last edited:
That year Taurus comes with a power steering filter standard. They have a bracket and filter in the return line. I think I'm going to ship the car with a carrier. It will save a lot of grief. I just hope it goes OK.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Power steering filter?

Sounds aftermarket...I would drive it, still cheaper than doing anything else.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
That year Taurus comes with a power steering filter standard. They have a bracket and filter in the return line. I think I'm going to ship the car with a carrier. It will save a lot of grief. I just hope it goes OK.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Power steering filter?

Sounds aftermarket...I would drive it, still cheaper than doing anything else.

Wow, learn something new everyday then. One more thing to break!

That would be horrible too especially in the cold, stiff tires, hot hydraulic fluid, skating rink handling.

Usually outside of an accident nothing goes wrong but that is what insurance is for.

Last edited:
I think there are more logistics to think of than just moving a car. Awful cold in ME. Mis she technically competent to do repairs? Does she know good shops and people she can trust? If not, it can make for hard times if things go bad.

Assuming you have paid time off, I'd do the drive, using common sense and a good checking of the weather reports, and take her out there. Not only for the trip and bonding time (assuming that is going to occur), but also so you can get her settled, the car maintained, tires, etc as needed and advise her on trustworthy places. Then head back.

I've used DAS to ship a car twice, both times I was satisfied and there was no damage to the car, but it was filthy inside and out when I received it. It cleaned up fine and cost about the same as fuel/tolls/hotels would have cost driving cross country.

She has already been attending the school, knows a shop that seems fair. I would save time off from work. I don't have a job that is real flexible regarding time off. They don't pay me time off.

I've been taking care of her while she has been with me after her hip surgery. I think we have the bonding thing down. We did the trip to the same school in august 2012. We kind of made a vacation out of it, saw some relatives in Utah as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back