dark oil, real fast.

Do to dropout ( particles , etc. ) from leftover oil and new when the oil is idle for a period of time ? Like that in a new bottle found at the bottom when empty ( example P.P. , Shell , etc. ) . Do see this when checking dipstick . Clear at top and gradually gets darker to the bottom of the dipstick . Especially not long after new oil and filter change . :whistle:
Oops , Due to dropout ...

just a brief update..... i have an appointment with the dealer this morning. i figure it couldn't hurt to let them have a look at things. ill post back here later today with what they told me.

I appreciate all the replies. thank you!

My 2022 Pathfinder 3.5L DI blackens oil quickly, I have never seen anything like this before, I did a couple of oil changes at 1500 miles, this direct injection is the devil.
IMG_8694.jpeg

just got back from the dealer. service manager said they did some tests and found "nothing out of the ordinary" that would be causing the oil to turn that dark. he said i do have fuel in the oil and thats causing the increased volume on the dipstick. i was told this was completely normal as well. he said at this point its not concerning BUT they did a free oil change and and want to check this again in 1,000 miles. they are sending the oil for testing. i assume its for fuel. i feel like they will prob find something wrong the next time i go in. i got the feeling they suspect something but didnt come out and say it. prob why they want to test the old oil and check the new change in 1k. they used 5w30 motorcraft blend. its so clear you can barely see it on the dipstick.

just got back from the dealer. service manager said they did some tests and found "nothing out of the ordinary" that would be causing the oil to turn that dark. he said i do have fuel in the oil and thats causing the increased volume on the dipstick. i was told this was completely normal as well. he said at this point its not concerning BUT they did a free oil change and and want to check this again in 1,000 miles. they are sending the oil for testing. i assume its for fuel. i feel like they will prob find something wrong the next time i go in. i got the feeling they suspect something but didnt come out and say it. prob why they want to test the old oil and check the new change in 1k. they used 5w30 motorcraft blend. its so clear you can barely see it on the dipstick.
Well atleast they are taking the proper steps to look into it and do a follow up, better then I can say for a lot of other dealers out there lol

Not sure what’s worse - the stench of diesel oil or gear oil.
Can’t say I’ve ever really noticed a stench for diesel oil. Gas engine oil has a more noticeable odor to me.

Diesel oil just stains your skin if you get it on you.

Gear oil is the most noticeable, though it’s kind of like driving by the marsh/bay. Smells like sulfur, not a great smell, but it’s tolerable for a bit…

Can’t say I’ve ever really noticed a stench for diesel oil. Gas engine oil has a more noticeable odor to me.

Diesel oil just stains your skin if you get it on you.

Gear oil is the most noticeable, though it’s kind of like driving by the marsh/bay. Smells like sulfur, not a great smell, but it’s tolerable for a bit…
Used grease usually has a pretty strong stench to me.

Amine and phenol derivatives (e.g. AOs), have the ability to darken when exposed to elevated temperatures/oxidation. This darkening process can lead to a spectrum of colors, ranging from dark yellow hues to deep brown shades, with the occasional occurrence of reddish tones, albeit rare.
View attachment 160320
Probably explains why sometimes when I pull a valve cover the engine has a reddish/gold color to it.

well i went to the dealer this morning for my 1k mile checkup. i just returned from a 600 mile round trip mini vacation so the ranger got a good workout in the interstate. oil is fine. the motorcraft syn blend is as clear as it was the day they changed it. whatever it was that turned the qsup oil so dark that fast didnt happen this time. the service manager is implying that the motor oil i used was not up to ford specifications or a faulty oil filter. i said it was qsup and its supposed to be good for up to 20k miles. & the filter in question was a motorcraft 910s. the oil analysis results were not available yet. he said it may take several weeks for those results. dealership had no clue what caused it. just said if it happened again to bring it back.

Back