Dark cutting oil sulfur content, for diesel

I have searched and searched with no luck. I was cutting some pipe threads this week and using some Oatey dark cutting oil which has sulfur in it. I couldn't help but think that maybe adding some oil to my diesel tank might add some of the missing lubricity from the ULSD.

I am not a chemist but its probably a different type of sulfur, but...

Thoughts?

I appreciate you detailed and helpful comment. Diesel guys put ATF, 2 stroke oil, used engine oil, hydraulic oil, used vegetable oil, etc, etc in their diesel. I'm not saying they are right, but would cutting oil be any different. Also, no need to answer if you don't have any knowledge. Thanks

I know next to nothing about this other than, there are many products on the market that are commercially available or been showed to benefit (literally or imaginative) to venture off into something like this.

Especially if we're talking about a modern common rail system.

IMO

I appreciate you detailed and helpful comment. Diesel guys put ATF, 2 stroke oil, used engine oil, hydraulic oil, used vegetable oil, etc, etc in their diesel. I'm not saying they are right, but would cutting oil be any different. Also, no need to answer if you don't have any knowledge. Thanks
What are they trying to fix by doing so?

Lubricating and cleaning old-style mechanical fuel pumps and injectors that have been unused or sitting for long time. More so with ATF and synthetic 2stroke oil, just guessing though.

Veg.oil and filtered used oil just for cheap fuel.

So looking into this a bit more (I'm not a chemist but I do have a minor in chemistry) it appears that most cutting fluids have chlorinated compounds in addition to sulfur. I would not think that would be a good additive to any fuel.

And beyond that you don't really want sulfur, do you? You want added lubricity. The sulfur in the fuel was a carryover from distillation and did provide some lubricity, but that was incidental to being a sulfur compound and overall the presence of sulfur is detrimental. Complex sulfur compounds in the fuel (any fuel) convert to mixed sulfur oxides in combustion, which with heat and water turn acidic.

It's a bit hard to determine what the aftermarket lubricity additives actually add to the fuel but I cannot see where one utilizes a sulfur compound.

Last edited:
I have searched and searched with no luck. I was cutting some pipe threads this week and using some Oatey dark cutting oil which has sulfur in it. I couldn't help but think that maybe adding some oil to my diesel tank might add some of the missing lubricity from the ULSD.

I am not a chemist but its probably a different type of sulfur, but...

Thoughts?

By law all ULSD in the US contains no less than 2% biodiesel. Biodiesel does an excellent job at enhancing lubricity consequently there's no such thing as "missing lubricity".

Please take some time to read the relevant section of the forum for the answers you seek. Just because people put it in their fuel tanks does not mean it’s doing your fuel system any good and typically it is causing harm.

Adding drain oil back into fuel tanks was a common practice of fleet oilers. When fuel oil approached 4$ a gallon last yr, I started pouring my lightly used 0W20 into my 1/2 empty oil tank. I also bought my 1st cord of fire wood in over 30 yrs. I don't think sulfured cutting oil is good though, it would create sulfuric acid:cool:

@MikeJones I don't think you want to add Oatley to your fuel tank. It might be helpful to know what the vehicle is for relevance but yes old school diesels, you do hear of guys adding ATF or 2 stroke oil to the fuel. On a modern emissions diesel, this is bad news and likely to mess up the emissions system if your vehicle has one.

Just my $0.02

I would probably use one of the dozen+ fuel treatment additives on the market specifically formulated to address this instead. Especially if we're talking about a common rail system with aftertreatment.

It is not the sulfur compounds which provide lubricity. The process of removing sulphur to create ULSD also removes compounds which provide the lubricity.
I still add TCW3 two stroke oil to Freightliner trucks at work but they are old trucks. One of them is a 1999 FL70 with the Cummins ISB 5.9 with the VP44 mechanical rotary injection pump and I am getting good life (hundreds of thousands of kilometers) from the VP44, following my maintenance regime.

It is not the sulfur compounds which provide lubricity. The process of removing sulphur to create ULSD also removes compounds which provide the lubricity.
That is what I read, back when I had a diesel, or was looking into buying one (doing my research before buying it). That it was the process of removing sulfur that was a problem, and not the lack of sulfur.

No idea if true or not. On that car I did run B20 for like 100k, before going back to regular D2. No additives. 314k before selling, no issues. But a car, not a working truck, much less fuel used, so maybe not a good comparison.

No.

Most if not all diesel has a lubricity additive added to it.
The first choice lubricity additive must be biodiesel.

"
Biodiesel Use Requirement
At least 20% of all diesel fuel used to fuel state agency vehicles, vessels, and construction equipment must be biodiesel. The Washington Department of Enterprise Services (WDES) must assist state agencies by coordinating the purchase and delivery of biodiesel if requested, using long-term contracts if necessary, to secure a sufficient and stable supply of biodiesel. For state agencies complying with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) mandate, at least 2% biodiesel (B2) must be used as an additive to ULSD for lubricity, provided that the use of a lubricity additive is appropriate and that performance and cost are comparable with other available lubricity additives. All agencies using biodiesel must submit annual consumption reports to WDES.
"

Last edited:
The first choice lubricity additive must be biodiesel.

"
Biodiesel Use Requirement
At least 20% of all diesel fuel used to fuel state agency vehicles, vessels, and construction equipment must be biodiesel. The Washington Department of Enterprise Services (WDES) must assist state agencies by coordinating the purchase and delivery of biodiesel if requested, using long-term contracts if necessary, to secure a sufficient and stable supply of biodiesel. For state agencies complying with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD) mandate, at least 2% biodiesel (B2) must be used as an additive to ULSD for lubricity, provided that the use of a lubricity additive is appropriate and that performance and cost are comparable with other available lubricity additives. All agencies using biodiesel must submit annual consumption reports to WDES.
"

Yeah. Read the article you cited. State vehicles and equipment.

Yeah. Read the article you cited. State vehicles and equipment.
Another but older article.
"Biodiesel is now blended at a rate of 5 percent or less into almost every gallon of diesel fuel sold in the U.S., and its use is expected to climb."

"Biodiesel is approved for blending with petroleum diesel/distillate under the American Society for Testing and Materials specification ASTM D6751. Most U.S. biodiesel is consumed as blends with petroleum diesel in ratios of 2% (referred to as B2), 5% (B5), or 20% (B20). There are some vehicle fleets that use B100 (neat biodiesel). Much of petroleum diesel fuel sold in the United States actually contains up to 1% biodiesel because of biodiesel's lubrication qualities that potentially prolong the lifetime of certain engine components. Biodiesel is added to petroleum diesel only at blending terminals into tanker trucks for local distribution."

Another but older article.
"Biodiesel is now blended at a rate of 5 percent or less into almost every gallon of diesel fuel sold in the U.S., and its use is expected to climb."

"Biodiesel is approved for blending with petroleum diesel/distillate under the American Society for Testing and Materials specification ASTM D6751. Most U.S. biodiesel is consumed as blends with petroleum diesel in ratios of 2% (referred to as B2), 5% (B5), or 20% (B20). There are some vehicle fleets that use B100 (neat biodiesel). Much of petroleum diesel fuel sold in the United States actually contains up to 1% biodiesel because of biodiesel's lubrication qualities that potentially prolong the lifetime of certain engine components. Biodiesel is added to petroleum diesel only at blending terminals into tanker trucks for local distribution."

There is not a mandate that every gallon of diesel sold has to be X% bio. There is a mandate that they use X gallons of bio and given an incentive to use it. Not every fuel terminal carries biodiesel but most all carry a lubricity additive.

Back