Damaged Oil Filter and UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading several of lubeowner's posts of damaged oil filters...especially Champion Labs...I was wondering how a damaged filter would affect an UOA.

Any thoughts?

bgin

PS...I use the ST 3593a from Wal-Mart...a Champion Labs filter.

UOA will look about the with or without a filter. The particles being picked up in a UOA are too small for any filter to collect.

See Bob's run with no oil filter: UOA With No Filter
grin.gif

We really need an FAQ section. That analysis with no filter is fascinating, but I never would have seen it without your link Ugly.

Are lubeowner's comments taken from filters that are damaged or merely overused/abused? I would like to know the actual OCI's for every one he speaks negatory on. In this day of lease vehicles, many "renters" of such vehicles would not even change their oils in their alloted 36K if they could figure out a way to steer around the consequences.

That's why I raise an "oil flag" to anyone I know who mentions window-shopping for a used vehicle without alot of miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
UOA will look about the with or without a filter. The particles being picked up in a UOA are too small for any filter to collect.

grin.gif

That link was very interesting. A lingering question is, what if an oil filter was used how would that UOA would have turned out?

quote:

Originally posted by '00obw:

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:

grin.gif

That link was very interesting. A lingering question is, what if an oil filter was used how would that UOA would have turned out?

Both will look about the same.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back