Dakota front wheel hubs have no outer bearing race

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy at work is a bit concerned that when changing out his front rotors during a brake job on his Dodge Dakota there were no outer races for the wheel bearings.The bearing actually spun on the inner hub face with no bearing race.Is there any problems with this set-up?

Last edited:
A lot of what you said makes no sense. This bearing is put together in such a way that it cannot be taken apart. The components are essentially riveted (via orbital rollforming) together as one unit. Trust me, this bearing has outer races!

The internals are designed with only one separable inner ring -or "race" as you call it - on the inboard side. All other three raceways are machined into the forged inner and outer pieces and induction-hardened.

How do I know this? I help the design and manufacturing guys in our company who make this bearing. I know this product way too intimately.

I haven't actually seen the rotor/bearing assembly.When the person in question and I read your post we both clarified the situation.He is still maintaining that the inner race slides over the spindle but the roller bearings use the roto hub itself as a bearing surface on the top.Sort of like a rear axle is actually a bearing surface ,on the inside, on a "C" clip axle.Wish I could find a picture.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
A lot of what you said makes no sense. This bearing is put together in such a way that it cannot be taken apart. The components are essentially riveted (via orbital rollforming) together as one unit. Trust me, this bearing has outer races!

The internals are designed with only one separable inner ring -or "race" as you call it - on the inboard side. All other three raceways are machined into the forged inner and outer pieces and induction-hardened.

How do I know this? I help the design and manufacturing guys in our company who make this bearing. I know this product way too intimately.

+1 this is 100% correct. Not my favorite design but it seems to work. I like the sealed hub units better. JMO..
grin2.gif
SOunds like the guy pulled the assembly apart when he should have left it together.

Last edited:
Orbital rollformed hubs cannot be taken apart in any conventional way. We routinely take them apart when we check the warranty returns. The orbital rollform has to be machined off, then the inner flange pressed ouit to get it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back