Dad Picked Up a Tahoe for Ma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I ever posted about this, but back in July of 2016, Dad picked up a super sweet Tahoe for Mom. She'd always wanted an SUV, but new Tahoe prices are ridiculous. Dad found this 2005 Tahoe Z71 at a private dealer that specializes in bringing vehicles up from North Carolina. This truck is CLEAN. I mean CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Like "Hi I just bought this from a showroom and I'm driving it to the customer's house" clean. It was oiled in August/September at Carwell. The Z71 style wheels on it are minty mint (usually corroded from the weights) and shes running 17" Sierra wheels with a LT grade aggressive A/T tire for winter.

It's your typical Z71 Tahoe, body matched grille and front end, healthy LM7, 4L60E. There's 180k on the motor - and boy she runs sweet. Not a noise or anything. Trans shifts excellent... we're thinking it may have had a tranny put in it. Fluid is bright and pink. In August, I took it to put a remote starter in it and the oil pressure gauge went all the way to zero... talk about a heart sinking moment. Thankfully the rest of the gauges went belly up soon after and it turned out to be just the stepper motors in the cluster - had the whole cluster rebuilt.

Oil pressure is excellent. 35 at hot idle, 39-41 driving down the thruway going 65-70mph. Currently running Rotella T6 5W-40 and a Fram Ultra.

She will see 300k with this truck. Maybe at 300k I'll pull the 5.3, put a new one in, and wack the old motor with 18lbs of boost. Rings should be worn enough then
wink.gif

Here are some pics:

ZGaQHab.jpg

URKtoVw.jpg

V0x3O1i.jpg

OWyK5Qg.jpg

2He70aQ.jpg

n4WwbLA.jpg

wGZwRYs.jpg

4ivNCN9.jpg

jMiRKMy.jpg

buGhrSi.jpg

iVInZEh.jpg

8lVj8fV.jpg

XRWW20k.jpg

HDANMSp.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
My fellow Southtownser,

The salt will kill that off long before 300k.

Ye have little faith in thy oil undercoating.

What, that's not how ALL vehicles look underneath? (Kidding). My two are completely rust-free. The Ridgeline is from Arizona. The MDX has seen some snow/salt, but I keep it washed out underneath, and we're careful to not drive when it's salty out unless we have to. I have a thing about rust. I couldn't live much further north of here, that's for sure.

Great score.

That'd be kinda cool, T56 swapped Tahoe.

I'd boil the tires in it. Guess it's good I got the Regal.

The vehicles I've seen which were "oiled" (North of Albany, NY and in Vermont) all seemed wetter.

This Tahoe looks "clean and dry", not oiled. It's FREAKY CLEAN-and that's a good place to start!

Best of luck with it.

Nice Tahoe. Those things are tanks. A family member has one that I've driven on a few road trips, drives pretty nice but I'm not a fan of the 5.3's power band. It's also a 2005.

Hey did you get the car at that dealer on Harlem Road in West Seneca across from the Tops supermarket?

I used to live in that area of West Seneca for about 10 years. Remember them specializing in southern cars from Carolina.

That's one thing about Texas, all the cars look that clean underneath.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Hey did you get the car at that dealer on Harlem Road in West Seneca across from the Tops supermarket?

I used to live in that area of West Seneca for about 10 years. Remember them specializing in southern cars from Carolina.

That's one thing about Texas, all the cars look that clean underneath.

No it wasn't. However, I think you're thinking of Liberty Southern Cars.

This was from a small little dealer in Pendleton/Niagara Falls. Funny enough, a current co-worker of mine... his father owns the dealership. Small world.

I have the suburban version of that tahoe..love mine.. I see an escape i think in the background..whats it like to jump from seat to seat in those two?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sweet and clean. Very nice vehicle that may easily reach 300k miles.

Thanks! I enjoy driving it, when I can snatch it from Ma.

A new Escape is no contest to this Tahoe. Makes the Escape feel like a Fiesta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back