D1 / Gen 2 Rated Oils (Cleaning & Sludge Prevention)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oils from Castrol , Mobil 1 , Pennzoil , Quaker State and Valvoline all tout protection for modern turbo engines , improved wear reduction , more stable viscosity , etc.
*My question deals with cleaning ability and sludge prevention - would all D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oils provide similar cleaning ability and sludge prevention in a typical moderate mixed driving conditions OCI of 4K to 6K miles ?

Yes, they all have to meet established minimum standards (API/ILSAC) at keeping the engine clean. Formulators however are not precluded from exceeding minimum standards, so long as it doesn't come at the cost/detriment of meeting another minimum requirement the lube must meet.

This is why it's important to buy only API/ILSAC approved lubes in N. America.

Here..👇
From API

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Looking at 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oils from Castrol , Mobil 1 , Pennzoil , Quaker State and Valvoline all tout protection for modern turbo engines , improved wear reduction , more stable viscosity , etc.
*My question deals with cleaning ability and sludge prevention - would all D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oils provide similar cleaning ability and sludge prevention in a typical moderate mixed driving conditions OCI of 4K to 6K miles ?

if you have a new car go with Mobil1 change it every 4k miles Sooner on your first 3 oil changes( new engine break in 3333 miles OCI )

Mine was well taken care of i change it every 4k miles oil stays full and clean it starts getting a few carbon flakes at 4k that is why i change it at 4k

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

if you have a new car go with Mobil1 change it every 4k miles Sooner on your first 3 oil changes( new engine break in 3333 miles OCI )

Mine was well taken care of i change it every 4k miles oil stays full and clean it starts getting a few carbon flakes at 4k that is why i change it at 4k

A new engine breaks in in 3333 miles OCI?

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

M1 sounds terrible in my Kia, dumped it out after 200 miles on it

I do my initial oil change at 666 miles, the sign of the beast. Go past this and you risk [censored]'s displeasure.

they ran a new chevy silverado for 500,000 miles freeway miles
I'm sure that active fuel management took a pretty hard beating.

it out lasted the transmission which was 300,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back