Cylinder fogging oil for winter storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fogged the 2 cylinders on my VStar for the 6 month winter storage since I bought the bike new. I'm starting to wonder if that really is necessary. Getting older and lazier I guess. The bike stays in an unheated but insulated garage. The garage is in the backyard and is seldom visited in the winter, and the winter climate is dry here. I'm wondering if other BITOGers who store bikes, classic cars and other toys for the winter bother with cylinder fogging oil.
confused2.gif

I fog OPE, and boat motors, etc. for seasonal storage. I have done so for years.

Is the anxiety lasting 6 months worth the 20 minutes it takes to remove the plugs and spritz each cylinder? this is BITOG, we always do more than needed and sleep well. Okay maybe not all sleep well, but you get the idea.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Is the anxiety lasting 6 months worth the 20 minutes it takes to remove the plugs and spritz each cylinder? this is BITOG, we always do more than needed and sleep well. Okay maybe not all sleep well, but you get the idea.

That's a good point... I'm trying to balance laziness against anxiety here
lol.gif

Edited to add... Still no point in fogging though, if it doesn't make a difference(?) in 6 months storage..

Last edited:
I have owned 54 motorcycles and lived in numerous states, and have never fogged any cylinders, ever.

I started doing it once.

There is a procedure to do it correctly.
I believe you pull the starter rope and stop when you feel some resistance.
Possible the cylinder would be in its upper OR lower position ?
Pull the plug and oil

I stopped doing it when I asked the repair guy at my local small engine repair shop.
He said "it's not necessary", and I'm always trying to make life easier.

It's like asking: Do you fill the gas tank for Winter storage or run the engine dry ?
Some people fill, and some run dry.

Last edited:
I only do this with my generator and pressure washer which sometimes goes years without use. I would not go to the effort if I know I would be using the motor within a year. One time my generator went 7 years without use.

Plug the exhaust and intake to the air cleaner so mice do not get in. Put some mouse posion around it so they don't dine on the wires and brake hose.

Rod

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
I have fogged the 2 cylinders on my VStar for the 6 month winter storage since I bought the bike new. I'm starting to wonder if that really is necessary. Getting older and lazier I guess. The bike stays in an unheated but insulated garage. The garage is in the backyard and is seldom visited in the winter, and the winter climate is dry here. I'm wondering if other BITOGers who store bikes, classic cars and other toys for the winter bother with cylinder fogging oil.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by KGMtech

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I started doing it once.
There is a procedure to do it correctly.
I believe you pull the starter rope and stop when you feel some resistance.
Possible the cylinder would be in its upper OR lower position ?
Pull the plug and oil

I stopped doing it when I asked the repair guy at my local small engine repair shop.
He said "it's not necessary", and I'm always trying to make life easier.

It's like asking: Do you fill the gas tank for Winter storage or run the engine dry ?
Some people fill, and some run dry.
None of these are examples of fogging, you are just pulling the plug, putting oil in the cylinder and leaving it at TDC. Fogging is spraying oil in the carb/throttle body until it stalls the engine.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

Question is: Does it need to be done for 6 Months storage ?

Of course not, especially in a low humidity winter environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back