Cycling the Rocky Mountain Legacy Trail (Canmore to Banff return) in the Canadian Rockies - August, 2023

I think this was my 5th time doing this ride, and my wife's 3rd.

There's a net elevation gain of about 61 m from Canmore to Banff, which of course you get back on the return leg.

20230802_122103.jpg

This is the steepest hill - short and quite intense.

20230802_122314~2.jpg

Here's that hill looking back from the top.

20230802_124300.jpg

Rest stop close to halfway there - snacks and beautiful views.

20230802_130049.jpg

There's a small hydroelectric station by the tower in the distance - I speculated that it (the tower) provides pumped storage.

20230802_135026.jpg

Lunch in Banff. I'm not usually a coffee guy, but the iced version was very fine.

20230802_150036.jpg

I loved this copper roof in Banff, but wondered about the cost.

20230802_193838.jpg

Back in Canmore that evening after a good bike ride - there's the distinctive Ha Ling Peak in the background, our goal for the next day.

My old stomping grounds, nice pictures and write up. If you want an all off road trip that is not too arduous try the Goat Creek Trail sometime if you haven't already. It is essentially parallel to the trip you did but on an off road trail. You can also combine these two for a loop. I did Goat Creek in 2016 from Canmore to Banff, I am old and not in good shape and I managed (about 4 hours). I had to walk a few hills no big deal, they weren't very long. You need a mid-grade mountain bike as the terrain is rough (rocks, roots etc.), not brutal, but rough. When I did it there wasn't a soul on the trail I had it all to myself. There is a lot of history around that area you rode through, some towns like Bankhead and Anthracite that do not even exist anymore except for the odd partial ruin.

My old stomping grounds, nice pictures and write up. If you want an all off road trip that is not too arduous try the Goat Creek Trail sometime if you haven't already. It is essentially parallel to the trip you did but on an off road trail. You can also combine these two for a loop. I did Goat Creek in 2016 from Canmore to Banff, I am old and not in good shape and I managed (about 4 hours). I had to walk a few hills no big deal, they weren't very long. You need a mid-grade mountain bike as the terrain is rough (rocks, roots etc.), not brutal, but rough. When I did it there wasn't a soul on the trail I had it all to myself. There is a lot of history around that area you rode through, some towns like Bankhead and Anthracite that do not even exist anymore except for the odd partial ruin.
I would consider hauling the fat bikes out to do the Goat Creek. We're running 1.5"ers on my wife's bike - a bit skinny for rocks and roots.

There are tour companies in the area which take you up the Spray Lake road for a downhill ride to Banff.

The small hydroelectric plant is the Transalta 36 MW Cascade electric plant. It channels water from Lake Minnewanka through a 4 km canal. I’m not sure about the tank but it might be a surge tank, because the flow is stopped and started at the dam to provide power for peak periods.

532925AD-098D-4E06-92E3-5D9FA03027A7.png

Back