CVTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

So while I have another thread going for a separate issue, I wanted to get people's opinions on CVTs. I passed on a GREAT deal on a 2013 Altima SV because of CVTs, and I'm wondering what the general consensus is. Google give me some mixed opinions.

The cons I have heard are:
-Expensive maintenance
-Frequent early failures
-Expensive to fix when failed

These reasons put me off of both the Accord and the Altima, but now that I think about it, there are TONS of these vehicles being purchased and in service. Are they really that bad? Would YOU buy a CVT (regardless of how you like the drive)?

I'll take a CVT any day over a too many speed automatic, especially in econo-car format.

They're not any more issue prone or expensive to maintain or replace than today's conventional automatics.

FWIW, my 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT, is my first CVT. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi All,

So while I have another thread going for a separate issue, I wanted to get people's opinions on CVTs. I passed on a GREAT deal on a 2013 Altima SV because of CVTs, and I'm wondering what the general consensus is. Google give me some mixed opinions.

-Expensive maintenance
-Frequent early failures

These reasons put me off of both the Accord and the Altima, but now that I think about it, there are TONS of these vehicles being purchased and in service. Are they really that bad? Would YOU buy a CVT (regardless of how you like the drive)?

No, I would not buy a CVT. That is just my opinion. I also don't like the way they feel driving a car.

I have a CVT in my 2006 Nissan Murano with 130,000 miles and have no complaints. I had it flushed at about 105,000 miles, the fluid is really expensive. There were some early failures, so Nissan extended the CVT warranty to 110,000 miles.

The car seems really nimble for an SUV and I have no problem with pickup. My wife seems to think the transmissions in our other cars are going bad as she is used to the Murano NOT shifting.

I'd take a 6 speed over a CVT. Don't like the questionable reliability on one and the cost.

Plus (for me) they just drive wierd. I personally prefer a manual (2 of my 3 vehicles have a 5 speed) but the other one is a siz speed which replaced a 4 speed auto.

As an erngineer, I understand how CVTs are good for performance/economy. As a driver, I loathe them (Toyota's hybrid drivetrain makes sense 'though).

As to longevity, One of the most trouble prone drives that I've ever worked on were these http://www.pivdrives.com/

My versa comes with a 5 or 6 speed manual a four speed auto which i have and really like it or the cvt. The first model year or two had some problems but the newer ones dont.

I think all the cvt's in the nissans that are no older than 2013 should have great performing transmissions. I used a 2013 murano for a couple days and that thing was awesome. it was awd and had all the options. really nice machine, fast too.

CVTs are like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. It really depends on the exact model you're considering. I haven't driven very many, but from what I read Nissan has some of the better tuning. I don't think the good ones are necessarily more trouble-prone than a shifting transmission, but again, look up a specific model you're considering.

Also, I don't think people on this forum are necessarily a good group to survey about them. A decent amount of people here are sort of old-timers or have the attitude that they don't like new technology, whether it performs well enough or not. If you're just buying a regular car for driving, a CVT can be a good choice.

Long story short, take the broad generalizations here with a grain of salt. Do the research on the specific model you're considering and drive one to see how you like it. Don't take an internet poster's opinion on driving dynamics as gospel.

Originally Posted By: smc733

-Expensive maintenance
-Frequent early failures

1) The fluid is $15-$20/qt. Specialized fluids for the new 6-speed autos are in the $10/qt range, and some even exceed that.

2) In the 90s and early 2000s, yes. More recently, they do not seem to be any worse for most daily drivers.

3) Have you priced out a reman 6-speed auto lately? They too, cost $3-$4k for the unit itself.

So far, no. Maybe in a few years but too many cons right now; to me, any benefits don't make up for the reliability/expense issues. Yet.

A lot of the tension with CVTs is the fact that they are different and people don't understand them.

With that said, I had a chance to drive a Versa with the CVT. It clunked and banged taking off from stoplights, made some whining noises and while cruising down the highway at 55MPH, it would randomly make the engine run at 4000 RPM.

In the city, it really did a great job taking off from stopsigns and stoplights. It kept the revs perfect, and got excellent mileage indicated on the computer for in city driving (35 in stop and go).

I think they need to do two things to make them popular - eliminate the reliability problems ... or at least get them to current AT levels and make them function normally.

Originally Posted By: JTK

They're not any more issue prone or expensive to maintain or replace than today's conventional automatics.

Sorry but you are wrong here. The transmission flush for my cvt with the filter changes is $300 and needs to be done every 60,000 miles. Minimum replacement is going to be about $4000. The AT in my malibu for a Gm certified rebuilt was $3200 including labor

In the ford cvt's where a AT can sometimes go to 200k+ on the original fluid. I have never seen a ford cvt alive after 100k without a fluid change ( not saying they dont exist) but many around there that failed due to the owner not being aware of the maintenance plan.

Maybe this is just ford cvt's that required a flush and filter every 60,000 but due to the way a cvt works i Believe it is universal for around 50k changes.

Last edited:
I have a Ford Freestyle, 2006, with the CVT. I've had it since new. The CVT maintenance was right at $300 after tav. That included a high presure filter kit and a lot of full synthetic tranny fluid. It is called for at 60,000 miles. I will be doing it every 50,000 miles. I have heard of many of these Ford tranny's going big miles if properly maintained (and if they are not a lemon from the get go). I like the smoothness but without the shift points, it feels sluggish. The speedometer of course proves otherwise. I take it on vacation with 4-6 adults, 2,000 mile round trip, twice yearly with a roof cargo carrier and luggage behind the 3rd row of seats (another reason I change at 50, instead of 60,000). Unfortunately, the 2 other Freestyle owners I knew, lost theirs during hurricane sandy. Both were doing fine, one a 2005 and one a 2007. Both were doing well up to then.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I have a CVT in my 2006 Nissan Murano with 130,000 miles and have no complaints. I had it flushed at about 105,000 miles, the fluid is really expensive. There were some early failures, so Nissan extended the CVT warranty to 110,000 miles.

The car seems really nimble for an SUV and I have no problem with pickup. My wife seems to think the transmissions in our other cars are going bad as she is used to the Murano NOT shifting.

To update my post, my daily driver is my 1998 Corvette with a 6 speed manual transmission. The CVT has "transmission braking" like a manual when you take your foot off the gas. While I don't "floor" my Murano much, I don't see any "slusho-matic" action to complain about, like I said it seems to have plenty of acceleration.

Originally Posted By: Mullick2001
Originally Posted By: JTK

Sorry but you are wrong here. The transmission flush for my cvt with the filter changes is $300 and needs to be done every 60,000 miles.

Trans flush for the traditional slush box in our C300 is $350 and needs to be done every 40,000 miles.

Other than lousy programming most CVT's hold up pretty well. They simply do not work for heavy loads, so larger cars and/or high hp is not likely to see one used.

Many of their issues have been solved, and for an economy oriented car they can work really well. Newer units seem to have remarkable improvements in their driving manners. There will always be some clunkers...

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
CVTs are like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones. It really depends on the exact model you're considering. I haven't driven very many, but from what I read Nissan has some of the better tuning. I don't think the good ones are necessarily more trouble-prone than a shifting transmission, but again, look up a specific model you're considering.

Also, I don't think people on this forum are necessarily a good group to survey about them. A decent amount of people here are sort of old-timers or have the attitude that they don't like new technology, whether it performs well enough or not. If you're just buying a regular car for driving, a CVT can be a good choice.

Long story short, take the broad generalizations here with a grain of salt. Do the research on the specific model you're considering and drive one to see how you like it. Don't take an internet poster's opinion on driving dynamics as gospel.
> clinging to my guns, my religion, and my torque converter.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Not much in a torque conveter to wear out.

Actually a very common cause of trans failure.

As converters fail they throw metal, and it clogs valves and ruins more things downstream. Bearings and TC clutch (lock up) are common points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back