CVT transmissions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a rental Caliber with a CVT a few years back. I didn't like it. It was just gross to drive. I'd never entertain the thought of one in an automobile that I purchased.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
They are here to stay.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-cvt-transmissions-are-getting-their-groove-back-feature

Note that the new many-speed slushboxes have a wider ratio spread than CVT's. They will remain the 'go to' trans for anything with any real torque...

I like the concept. After some city driving with a Versa, it got great mileage for stop and go traffic with a lot of stoplights.

Awkward programming and being unreliable with heavy loads or torque are the downfall to them.

I wonder how long they will last in the new Rogue with 7 passengers on vacation, running wide open up big hills on an interstate?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They are here to stay.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-cvt-transmissions-are-getting-their-groove-back-feature

Note that the new many-speed slushboxes have a wider ratio spread than CVT's. They will remain the 'go to' trans for anything with any real torque...

I like the concept. After some city driving with a Versa, it got great mileage for stop and go traffic with a lot of stoplights.

Awkward programming and being unreliable with heavy loads or torque are the downfall to them.

I wonder how long they will last in the new Rogue with 7 passengers on vacation, running wide open up big hills on an interstate?

My mom has a caliber with a cvt. it's got 100k and she hasn't had any problems yet.
I like the idea of a cvt. the ability to maintain a consistent rpm is a great idea. Program it to stay at peak torque for accelerating in the city and the rpm don't increase as the speed does. I think the idea is great and I've thought of how great they'd be in a race type environment because the engine could be running at peak power,and what a great concept for a dragster.
However I'm unsure about their longevity. Will they last the life of the car or is the public on the hook for the repair bills as they work out the bugs.
I like the 5 speed auto in my charger. A six might be better though,I love the manual 6 speeds in the mustangs but I fear more gears means more potential for problems and a higher cost to fix.
Time will tell I guess.

They are here to stay.

Car and Driver's usual lack of correct information:

"Audi, Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, and Toyota all make their own CVTs. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO, the firm that supplies 49 percent of the world’s gear-free transmissions to Chrysler, GM, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. In addition, nearly half of Nissan’s current U.S. models offer a JATCO-supplied CVT."

Subaru uses Aisin built CVTs.

Pretty sure 'yota is an Aisin too, although they own most/all of it.

My mom has a 07 Altima 2.5 with around 110k with no trouble at all from the CVT and the rest of the car. The CVT works very well.

Originally Posted By: JTK
They are here to stay.

Car and Driver's usual lack of correct information:

"Audi, Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, and Toyota all make their own CVTs. Nissan owns a controlling interest in JATCO, the firm that supplies 49 percent of the world’s gear-free transmissions to Chrysler, GM, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki. In addition, nearly half of Nissan’s current U.S. models offer a JATCO-supplied CVT."

Subaru uses Aisin built CVTs.

Pretty sure 'yota is an Aisin too, although they own most/all of it.

Old outdated info.

Might want to verify that, I did.

No issues with my '07 altima 4 cyl with 120K on it. Much smoother (I'd call it seemless) than my '13 Accord. I get about 30mpg with the Altima. Had the CVT oil changed twice; $90 first time and $120 second time.

Previous Mazda with auto xmsn went out at 51K and Mazda wouldn't warrant a dam thing on it.........1K over warranty!

Have a JATCO in an 08 Rogue with 120K mi on it. Love it, wouldn't trade it.

The only issue I see is it got a little noisy but that was fixed with a fluid change. I service it every 60k. I used Eneos CVT fluid and the CVT has always been quiet since. I think a lot of the noisy units that were replaced would have been cured by a simple fluid change.

I am doing the service again this week, again with Eneos. Service is very easy on these units.

I have a 2012 Rogue and I love the CVT so for. 28K miles so not a lot but I love the smoothness so far.

One of my Uncles lives in Texas, and he has had 2 Nissan Muranos. The first one never had any problem with the CVT in the 120K he had it, he bought a new one just because he wanted to have a new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back