CVT Fluid recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 6 quarts of Castrol CVT off amazon. Not going to drop the pan, just extract via the dipstick and maybe follow up in a few thousand miles with another change. The fluid is cheap when you stray from the Nissan factory stuff.

I just did my new cvt at 25k to prevent having another failure. I used Idemitsu from amazon, type N. Nissan forums say they make the Nissan fluid and it looked the same as the oem fluid I had from the dealer and it was only $45 for a 5qt jug. I just did a drain and fill and it took 4.5qts. I plan on doing this every 25k as cheap insurance.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I just did my new cvt at 25k to prevent having another failure. I used Idemitsu from amazon, type N. Nissan forums say they make the Nissan fluid and it looked the same as the oem fluid I had from the dealer and it was only $45 for a 5qt jug. I just did a drain and fill and it took 4.5qts. I plan on doing this every 25k as cheap insurance.

Since it is a new nissan shouldn't it be Type N3 from idemitsu? , which is compatible with NS-3, Type N is compatible with NS-2.

Originally Posted by reddevil
Originally Posted by D1dad

Since it is a new nissan shouldn't it be Type N3 from idemitsu? , which is compatible with NS-3, Type N is compatible with NS-2.

Does idemitsu offer anything that says for NS-3 on the bottle?

I realize their type N fluid that says it's suitable for NS-2 use is blue in color like NS-3 and not green like NS-2, but not having any NS-3 wording online or on the packaging would keep me from using it in an NS-3 application.

Originally Posted by JTK

Does idemitsu offer anything that says for NS-3 on the bottle?

I realize their type N fluid that says it's suitable for NS-2 use is blue in color like NS-3 and not green like NS-2, but not having any NS-3 wording online or on the packaging would keep me from using it in an NS-3 application.

https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/product/cvtf-type-n3

Last edited:
Update:

Process is so simple even I could do it. 19mm socket, bucket, funnel levels of simple. Getting the car on the ramps was literally the most complex part of the process.

Drained some BLACK and GNARLY CVT fluid from the car. Since Amazon sells Castrol in a 6 pack and less than 6 quarts came out, I decided to pour fresh quart through while the drain nut was off. What came out was shiny, new red fluid. It didn't seem to "flush" out anything. I also turned on the car and shifted through the gears from P through L and back, which got a bit more of the old fluid out.

Tightened the drain pan nut with a nice new washer and added 4.5 quarts. Drove it about 10 miles, instantaneous improvement! Less juddering at low rpms and less of that slipping feel and jerky revs at 2-3k RPM.

I realize the "red" fluid instantly voids any Nissan warranty because it lacks the magical properties of the green Nissan dyes, but the Castrol product is as good as advertised. This is cheap and easy enough to do again in 10k miles, and every 30k miles thereafter.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
How many times did you have the CVT fluid changed on your 2011 Rogue at the dealer? Makes you wonder about their process, although the fluid does darken rather quickly.

It was a fleet vehicle for the first 63k miles. Now it has 121k miles and hasn't had trans issues (knock on wood) but has developed a whine from the rear diff. Probably need to change the fluid in that as well.

I hope the fluid was changed under fleet ownership, but it was changed in 2016 at 80k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back