CV boot repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first set of axles lasted 400,000 km without damage but I cut a replacement in 2000 km
spaz.gif
If you don't want to read anymore the main question is, "What kind of glue do the split boots come with?" The damage must have occurred when I had the axles flopping around to change the wheel bearings. Anyway, I just had an alignment done so I want to patch up my cut boot. The cut is very close to joint so it won't be in an area that balloons during driving. I tried some Latex caulking with no luck so today I pumped two ounces of CV lube in there with a gigantic needle.
shocked.gif
I then attached a piece of bicycle innertube with some blue RTV. Tomorrow I'll drive around to see if it falls off right away. The cut is 1/2" long while the patch is 2" long so there is lots of overlapping. I was planning on using some rubber cement but my stash was AWOL when I went looking for it.

Thanks, Steve

I have had good results patching automotive rubber boots with a thin piece of nylon or silk and GOOP.

Clean the boot surfaces, spread areal thin layer of goop on the boot, press the cloth into the goop.

Spread a thin layer of goop over the patch.

I've made patches the same way with RTV and thin fabric, but it isn't as strong so it wouldn't be as good for tough duty.

I got the silk from a shear blouse my wife donated to the cause. I expect thin nylon fabric would work as well.

I have also used old nylon panti-hose as a reinforcement material (matrix) when making prototype elasomer parts from scratch. It would probably be adequate for boot patch with GOOP, but regular silk or nylon fabric would be alot stronger.

Automotive Goop

I have no connections with the company, just years of experiance using their GOOP for many things. It has some real good properties.

I'd just rip the cut boot outa there and get one of those boot kits that can be put on without taking the axles out. That will last a lot longer than a hatchet repair job. Then, next time you have the axles out for whatever reason, you can get a real boot and put it on.

I had good luck with a kit, but wasn't creative enough to do a patch. At least the kit comes with clean surfaces. Nothing will stick to dirt, oil, and grease.

I tried using one of the repacement boots ..were you don't take out the axel , you just cut off the old boot and put on the new one and screw it back together ..didn't work for crap for me ..but I think i was sent the wrong part . The boot didn't fit over the outer hub correctly
frown.gif

Anyway I eventually just replaced the halfshaft myself ..wasn't all that hard ...now the other side is going ...
frown.gif

Those split boots last about a year. I used to replace them every year for 4 years. Then I got sick and tired of it and had the axles replaced.

I put about 40k on one of those split boots, then we dumped the car for other reasons. Other than a royal PIA to get those itty-bitty screws and nuts secured, it was infinitely easier than the alternative. There was no glue, just screws and nuts.

If I were to do it again (and would if necessary), I would use small ty-raps instead of those insane screws and nuts.

I fixed it today after putting it off for a few thousand kilometers. Man was there ever a lot of grease on everything! Atleast there was still some in the joint plus I'd avoided dirt roads. The boot and boot clamp tool just about cost as much as another axle but I didn't want to deal with those stupid VW 1960s era inner CV joint bolts.
frown.gif
The clamp tool was magic, I sooo wish those were used on rad hoses too. I mean WOW so easy!

Cheers, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back