[Cut Open] Magnefine with 23,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim,
I saw that.
But I was pointing out that the 35u media in the Magnefine is a major improvement over the 80u of good in-pan filters.
The magnet is a plus over the in-pan magnets because all the fluid flows over the magnet in the magnefine.
As shown in the pictures, and what I have seen on my Magnefine filters, that magnet catches a LOT of stuff.
Like you, I'm sold on the Magnefine filter....a very nice addition that is easy to install and change.

Sorry, didn't catch your drift. Sometimes good points are worth making a second time and thought that was the moment. ( ; < )

I changed mine also for the new all metal one.. I unscred mine and I was shocked at all the dirt on the magnet... Not so much in the filter but the magnet was loaded.. Also Honda v6 only has a Internal filter / screen . and a magnet on the AT fluid drain plug so I was very happy to get all that junk outta there... Also the Magnefine filter is very good.. Did you notice the bypass???

Plus the plastic one doubles has a cooler in some ways.. However I really wanted the new all steal one.
Here is picture of it... I hear its the same exact thing inside .. At least it looks so from the pics.

but here this is new one.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by David1
I changed mine also for the new all metal one.. I unscred mine and I was shocked at all the dirt on the magnet... Not so much in the filter but the magnet was loaded.. Also Honda v6 only has a Internal filter / screen . and a magnet on the AT fluid drain plug so I was very happy to get all that junk outta there... Also the Magnefine filter is very good.. Did you notice the bypass???

Plus the plastic one doubles has a cooler in some ways.. However I really wanted the new all steal one.
Here is picture of it... I hear its the same exact thing inside .. At least it looks so from the pics.

but here this is new one.

[Linked Image]

Wow I like that metal one. I have one of the older style filters on my Jeep. No leaks yet, but I've read about some people having leaks with the plastic filters. Hopefully the metal ones would eliminate that as a possibility.

I like the idea of this for my older beater I hope to run forever.

Do most people just splice it into the return line from the radiator?

Originally Posted by mcwilly
I like the idea of this for my older beater I hope to run forever.

Do most people just splice it into the return line from the radiator?

Yep. Just follow the arrow for flow direction

I had a magnefine on my Power steering return line. It weeped from the seam for years until I removed it from service when the weep turned to a drip. The magnet had not caught very much and the media looked pretty clean too. I've Been meaning to replace it. Probably say that in a year too.

I had one on my Tx which also weeped from the seam. But I'll admit to being a fool, and having it plumbed backwards as I made some false assumptions on the direction of flow. I'd urge others to follow the cooler line plumbing and know for sure which is the output and which is the return port on their Transmission. I got lucky that the bypass was not required as it would not have worked being plumbed backwards. Could have been a very costly false assumption.

I only realized I had it plumbed backwards when I opened it up, and found all the debris in the inside of the filter element and not very much on the magnet at all.

I had it on for years, but low miles, thank goodness the bypass was never required.

I now have a derale external filter mount for the TX with a fram ultra XG16 on it whose case is peppered ith Neodymium magnets. Its plumbed after the extra TX cooler which is plumbed after the stock radiator cooler.

I still have the magnefine magnets. While they are stronger than the original in pan magnet whch came inside my transmission pan, they are ridiculously weak in comparison to a Neodymium magnet. Whether that magnetic strength actually makes a difference is opinion, until hard data proves otherwise.

Nice pics.

I'm stuck with the plastic units as all I use anymore are 1/2" transmission lines.

I do syringe a bead of SeamGrip around the flange lip though on every new plastic Magnefine I install, and butterfly clamp the filter body away from touching anything.

I like the plastic ones because you can disassemble and reassemble them.
I just cut the media outlet of the core and endcaps (had to pry and chip the glue out of the endcaps) and put some long thin high temp neodymium magnet bars at four points around the core. I screwed it back together and just slapped some T rex tape around the end that screws off. Not gonna unscrew. I put it on the supply side of the cooler and then put a spin on & mount on the return side.

I added a inline to my honda about 6 months ago and I changed it already and got the new all steel magnefine filter.. anyways I cut it open and the magnet was very dirty and the filter was very dirty also.. Whats odd is I do a drain and fill on each 3rd engine oil change... I dunno why that filter was so dirty....

I have a 2002 Honda accord and Im the 2nd owner. The 1st owner who bought the car new kept the car up very good and had a pile a paper work of all repairs and work done on it..
Anyways I have had it going on 7 years.. I bought it with 170K miles on it and now it has over 270K miles on it.. I used to drain and fill with Honda DW-1 and a few times with Idimetsu DW-1.
So I keep it up very well.. Anyways about a 9 months ago I put a magnefine filter and even posted pics here.. So after about 6 months I bought a new magenfine filter that was all steel.
I took the old plastic one a part and the cartrige filter was clean but the magnet has a load of that goop all over it...

Hondas have no replaceable filter / unless you take the trans out.. The only thing is on the atf drain plug they put a nice size magnet that you clean off the same GOOP.. Anways I was shocked when I saw how much goop the magnefine had in it..

Originally Posted by wiswind
The Magnefine filters to a nominal particle size of 30 to 35 microns.
Compared to oil filters this may not sound great, but for a transmission fluid filter it is a HUGE improvement over the best of the in-pan filters!

I'm running a Baldwin BT839-10 (10 micron) hydraulic filter on my trans return line. I placed neodymium magnets between each of the 8 oil inlet holes.

I remember hearing about a transmission rebuilder about 40 years ago that insisted on installing a Frantz filter IF the customer wanted a warranty.

I changed my magnefine after about 8 months b/c I wanted to use the upgraded all-steel one.. Anyways the magnet was fully dirty however the filter was not bad at all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back