Cut open Ford Fiesta OEM filter 10,000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on my 2014 Ford Fiesta purchased in July for the first time - 10,000 mile OCI per manual.
I cut the filter open to see what engine assembly detritus was caught by the filter.
The filter was in terrific shape. The pictures don't adequately convey how good the filter is because I had to use channellocks to get it off the engine. The assembler used gorilla strength to install the filter. All the bends in the metal endcaps and misarrangement of the pleats were caused by my efforts to pull the innards out of the mangled filter housing.

There were some metal flakes in the pleats of the filter. I don't know whether I put them there as a result of hacksawing the mangled housing or they are from new construction. However after looking at the filter construction, I think it did its job well. I think the filter would have been good for another 10,000 miles at least.
BasicFilter_zps4f99f491.jpg

Filter looks good.

What oil/filter did you use for replacement?
Do you plan on 10K OCI's?

M1 5W-20 and motorcraft filter.
I plan to do 10K OCIs. I've been doing them on every car I've owned since 1981.

The OEM Ford filters are way better than the Motorcrafts on the open market.

I have another Fiesta with 75,000 miles and I've cut open the FL-910S a couple of times after 10K OCIs. The motorcraft filters were perfectly fine.

Pure speculation, but maybe the engineers designed for a more efficient filter during new construction to catch anything left over after the manufacturing process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back