Current best photo hosting site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Register a domain with a cheap host like Godaddy and just use that
21.gif

The domains don't come with any hosting; but even their cheapest hosting plans are pretty cheap.

I think the "get hosting" part was implied, LOL!
wink.gif
You can buy them as a package IIRC, domain plus barebones hosting and it is extremely inexpensive.

I have over 40 domains registered with them, and every single one either points to a blog at Blogspot/ Wordpress or virtual machines at Google Compute Engine. The super cheap hosting they have is pretty cool in that there is loads of space and unmetered bandwidth; but it's shared hosting and is sometimes subject to slowdowns. It'd probably make the perfect photo storage/ sharing platform!

Register a domain with a cheap host like Godaddy and just use that
21.gif

The domains don't come with any hosting; but even their cheapest hosting plans are pretty cheap.

I think the "get hosting" part was implied, LOL!
wink.gif
You can buy them as a package IIRC, domain plus barebones hosting and it is extremely inexpensive.

I have over 40 domains registered with them, and every single one either points to a blog at Blogspot/ Wordpress or virtual machines at Google Compute Engine. The super cheap hosting they have is pretty cool in that there is loads of space and unmetered bandwidth; but it's shared hosting and is sometimes subject to slowdowns. It'd probably make the perfect photo storage/ sharing platform!

thumbsup2.gif

cheers3.gif

Another possibility is an Amazon S3 bucket that you make publicly accessible.
You can point your own domain name to it, or use their domain.
You have full control over your files.
Their are many third party apps (many free) to manage your files on S3 or automatically backup a local folder, etc.
Performance is generally excellent.
Their redundancy is much better than most web site hosts.
A downside is you can't build a real web site with scripting in S3.
Up to 5 GB is free, then you pay but the charges are reasonable:
https://aws.amazon.com/free/
https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

Backblaze has a similar looking option that I have not worked with, lower price than S3 and 10 GB free to get you started:
https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Another possibility is an Amazon S3 bucket that you make publicly accessible.
You can point your own domain name to it, or use their domain.
You have full control over your files.

Can you link directly to your files/images on forums?

Aside from the 5GB storage limit, are there any monthly limits on data transfer?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can you link directly to your files/images on forums?

Yes, if you make them available to the public.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Aside from the 5GB storage limit, are there any monthly limits on data transfer?

The limits only apply to the free tier, and I think it's only free for 1 year.
Transfer limits in the free tier are 15 GB per month according to this page:
https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Where it says "15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across all AWS services*"
Apparently bandwidth in is free.

So AWS is not a good option for lifetime free hosting.

Oh well. I've been wanting a change anyway. Every time I log into Photobucket and my computer bogs down because of all the ads and junk pop-ups. Yeah! The change has been a long time coming.

I just deleted my Photobucket account. No big loss. I already had a Flickr account and after trying it out, it's so much better than Photobucket anyway. Thanks Photbucket for motivating me to try something way better than your [censored] "service".

You are a sinking ship. Every time someone logs into a forum and sees the following is another nail in your coffin. Goodbye forever!

Signature%203_zpshmhm8ezl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back