Curious Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
So like i stated on my 1st thread i posted here, after getting suggestion. i switched to 5W 30 castrol Edge Titanium, instead of the normal 10w 40 edge in my 08 Pont G6 and my gas mileage went down considerably, was that normal to happen since i have been running 10 40 for so long? also been doing alot of reading the last few days and ins PU really that good? if my motor looked or seemed "sludgy" (for lack of better word) or felt slugish would it be beneficial to switch to PU over castrol titanium? also had anyone seen this recent study from "top" oils.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf.

anyone have any opinions on this? i see M1 is popular around here, thats what im running in my honda but id like something else for my pontiac.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I got the best mileage on pyb 20W50.

And I bet you actually believe it was because of the oil.

I took it as a joke...at least I hope it is.

Originally Posted By: Batmanj30
and my gas mileage went down considerably,

Define this.
How many tanks? Same driving conditions? Same a/c use?

Oh, and I have some water for sale. I also have this 'test' that I did, which proves my water is better water than any of the other brands out there.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Batmanj30
and my gas mileage went down considerably,

Define this.
How many tanks? Same driving conditions? Same a/c use?

Oh, and I have some water for sale. I also have this 'test' that I did, which proves my water is better water than any of the other brands out there.

Does AC really affect gas mileage?
I seem to remember that being on myth busters with no measurable difference.

Yes the ac effects the gas mileage. It's being turned by the engine and it's not free motion. The Lower the engine speed the more significant the impact should show.

Best gas mileage is achieved with Windows up and ac off. Less aerodynamic drag and less parasitic power loss this way.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

That is funny!
Actually it's not the first time he's made that claim.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Best gas mileage is achieved with Windows up and ac off. Less aerodynamic drag and less parasitic power loss this way.

Additionally, every car seems to have a sweet spot with regards to powerband, gearing, and aerodynamics. Oddly most of my car have always been around 70-75.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

That is funny!
Actually it's not the first time he's made that claim.

Whether he is serious or not, it's funny either way
grin.gif

one reason you have less mileage is because the thinner oil is allowing you to rev your engine more easily, or maybe you accelerate faster now since you have more power.

another reason could be your Airfilter, did you change it at the same time? if its more clogged you may have less mileage.

Yes my driving conditions are the same, doesnt really fluxuate. and abt 6+ tanks. my normal work commute has been dramatically different. and in this texas summer heat, AC is on full blast while im driving. so the conditions never really change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back