Cummins diesel engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I really like the Allison transmissions. After all, they have had a few years to perfect that thing.

Now, if we could just figure out someway to get the Cummins engine and the Allison transmission in a Ford everything would be perfect.

Maybe Ford can financially help GM and Chrysler in some small way and get the rights to use those two items.

The only fault I find with the GM HD trucks is their brakes suck. IF they could figure out how to make their trucks stop like the Other HD trucks I would be looking at one out the window right now.

I like the rest of the package so much I would even overlook how much I don't like the A arm front suspensions.

GM injector problems are in trucks older than two years old.

Get a 5.9 Cummins, or pass on the Dodge.

The current twin turbo Ford has problems as well.

How did this get from me asking about cummins diesel engines to someone asking about chevy duramax diesels and dodge diesels?????

32.gif
33.gif
spankme2.gif
54.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
GM injector problems are in trucks older than two years old.

Get a 5.9 Cummins, or pass on the Dodge.

The current twin turbo Ford has problems as well.

Sequential, not twin
grin2.gif

The last time that I visisted a GM truck site the FAQ on the Allison started off with a statement that due to it's complexity there would be more failures associated with it. Kind of like the TV ads about some wonder drug that has a few side effects like liver failure, blindess, etc.

One gentleman had his trucked towed twice when the Allsion went out, and it was due to small metal particles in the oil shorting out some solenoids.

No thank you, no trouble prone disposable trannys wanted.

Originally Posted By: fordboy
How did this get from me asking about cummins diesel engines to someone asking about chevy duramax diesels and dodge diesels?????

32.gif
33.gif
spankme2.gif
54.gif
crazy2.gif

I can see you have not been here long. Just wait a little bit and someone will start talking about how to hop up a DMAX or the difference between Corn Flakes and Cheerios.

Corn Flakes are flat.
Cheerios are round and stuck in the seats of any minivan ever produced...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
That could be said for the Chevy and Ford as well. Chevy Isuzu, Ford Navistar correct?

Except that GM owned a large portion of Isuzu when the engine was designed and GM Powertrain was involved with it too...so it "could" be labeled a GM engine.

And Isuzu is now a part of Toyota.

Originally Posted By: fordboy
In a few years, I plan to buy a big diesel truck for my farm. I am a Ford guy, and I hate to admit that Ford's diesel engins are not doing to well right now. I am wondering if a Dodge Ram 3500 with a Cummins diesel would be a better choice. I hope that Ford will resolve their problems, or at least Toyota will build a diesel truck. Chevy Duramax diesels are doing well too, but I wouldn't buy a Chevy if my life dependened on it! Please tell me what you think about Cummins diesel engines. And no comments about me hating Chevys!!!
57.gif

I like the Cummins Diesel, *AND* the Ram its wrapped in, personally
grin2.gif
:D

If Chrysler survives long enough to get the 2500/3500 version of the 2009 Ram in production with the Cummins, look out world. Unless you're just irrationally biased against coil springs (and part of me is too, its a tough pill to swallow) there's really not much to criticize about that truck. WOW. Night and day driving an 09 Ram 1500 vs. an 08 1500.

PS- I feel the same way about Tundras that you feel about Chevies
37.gif

There is a conversion kit to put a cummins in the Fords in place of the powerstroke.It costs $16,000.00 and I heard about it from the local Snap On dealer in my area.The 6.0 powerstroke is huge POS and Jasper found lots of problems with it.Jasper puts in 23 upgrades in the first year 6.0 powerstrokes.Some place did some testing on the 6.0 powerstrokes and went through 3 engine blocks.I know of a 1992 dodge with the 5.9 cummins in it with 300,000 miles on it,well taken care of and still runs great.The Chevy Duramax did have head problems and has been fixed,the valve seats came out of the head.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
There is a conversion kit to put a cummins in the Fords in place of the powerstroke.It costs $16,000.00 and I heard about it from the local Snap On dealer in my area.The 6.0 powerstroke is huge POS and Jasper found lots of problems with it.Jasper puts in 23 upgrades in the first year 6.0 powerstrokes.Some place did some testing on the 6.0 powerstrokes and went through 3 engine blocks.I know of a 1992 dodge with the 5.9 cummins in it with 300,000 miles on it,well taken care of and still runs great.The Chevy Duramax did have head problems and has been fixed,the valve seats came out of the head.

"Autoworld" in Great Falls, MT has made a very good business out of performing these conversions if you don't want to do it yourself. They are well respected on the diesel sites I've seen, and if anyone is interested in this conversion, they can google this business. I've actually considered it myself using a mid '90's chevy. These guys are only 300 miles from me, and I get to great falls at least once a year.

There is a conversion kit to put a cummins in the Fords in place of the powerstroke.It costs $16,000.00 and I heard about it from the local Snap On dealer in my area.The 6.0 powerstroke is huge POS and Jasper found lots of problems with it.

I've had a few questions about that....

First, is the newer 6.4 holding up any better so far?

Second, is Navistar's own Maxxforce 7 having the same problems as the Powerstroke, or is it Ford's engine management systems and other application specific specs that are causing the problems?

The 6.4 is a piece of junk too and my Uncle steve had one.Had it in for the recall for the flames coming out of the exhaust and it was worse.The 6.4 is also a nightmare to work on what I read so far.One thing you do not do with a powerstroke,letting it sit idling in park.The powerstroke diesels are not made to idle in park

The 6.4 is a piece of junk too and my Uncle steve had one.Had it in for the recall for the flames coming out of the exhaust and it was worse.The 6.4 is also a nightmare to work on what I read so far.One thing you do not do with a powerstroke,letting it sit idling in park.The powerstroke diesels are not made to idle in park

What, taking the entire cab and front clip off the frame to change headgaskets frequently is a nightmare?

Find a gasser.

Sorry to say, but the D3's all have their share of QA issues with larger trucks. Of course, they wanted to pocket that ten grand difference back then, not invest in a better product!

That is what I read on another messageboard,the 6.4 is a nightmare to work on and It was an experienced guy whom worked on one.Ford has a contract with International until next year and Ford owns half of Cummins.Chrysler was going to switch to Cummins to the Mercedes diesel before Daimler sold Chrysler

Ford and Navistar(International) are terminating the contract at the end of this year.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20090114/ANA02/901149984
Ford has never owned a majority share of Cummins. What percentage of stock they owned in the company was mostly sold off several years ago.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061113211143AA8yQQc
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=117721
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-diesel-discussion/24604-ford-owns-cummins.html
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/general-diesel-discussion/550-ford-owns-cummins.html
Q: Doesn’t Ford own Cummins? If the Cummins engine is so fantastic, why doesn’t Ford use the Cummins engine?

Back in the early 90’s, Ford bought less than 15% of outstanding Cummins stock. Many companies buy into other products to add diversity, corner a market, or form an alliance. In 1997, Cummins repurchased all stock previously owned by Ford, and no Ford management is now on the Cummins board of directors. Since 1998 in the pickup market, Cummins B engines are exclusively contracted to Chrysler, an arrangement that both companies are eager to continue. Ford medium duty (class 6 and 7) and heavy duty (class 8) trucks are available with Cummins B engines.
http://www.jonwaraas.com/doesnt-ford-own-cummins/

But yet, from what i understand is you should just leave them running cause that's what a diesel should do. Don't make sense.

Too bad the EPA had to get their hands on this. It's really messing with the diesel trucks in more ways than one.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

What, taking the entire cab and front clip off the frame to change headgaskets frequently is a nightmare?

The cab comes off very easily, and actually makes engine work far easier. Even the chassis harnesses have quick disconnects and such.

I guess it sucks for the home mechanic, but makes life much easier for anyone with access to a lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back