Cummins 5.9 oil filters - Wix vs Baldwin - cut open

JHZR2

Staff member
I had a Wix 51607, and a Baldwin BT7349, off of Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9L trucks. Each has about 5000 miles.

3894C7F0-F663-4B87-91C3-E2049D84C3A0.jpeg

Both are large, heavy filters. I cut them open, primarily because it lets me recycle the steel parts. The Baldwin was harder to cut open, so I think the can is marginally thicker.

8D849AC2-7CB8-4D7E-91BE-2087E0E93D63.jpeg
A728DDA6-F351-47B4-9426-07A44FF0A770.jpeg
1A8D159D-7F52-4E7A-86AA-17F0C48A7F00.jpeg
E8CC973D-FA9B-46D1-8FB4-F07E1BF8B2EA.jpeg
E713380E-6F44-4948-B783-A8E92AA72D58.jpeg
D8A006DF-1680-4285-B20F-6B774337BEAF.jpeg
6AFD44D2-3CCF-4D9E-8B56-CD44E683006D.jpeg

The Baldwin has a slightly longer media, more pleats, more consistent pleating, no bends or folds. The center core also has more openings though they’re blocked somewhat by the “louvers”.

The main difference is that the spring on the Baldwin is both smaller and weaker. Noticeably easier for me to pinch it vs the Wix, fwiw.

Overall I’m pleased with Baldwin and will continue to use them.

Last edited:
How did rust get on the inside of the base place gasket ID (where there is always oil) on the WIX?

Thanks for posting this info and the pics. I really like seeing those big filters, especially considering how small so many of the new filters are. I ran filters like those in my 7.3 Powerstrokes, back in the mid-late '90s. Seeing your filters brought back fond memories of those "Powerstroke Days."

They were set up for "expedition-type" use and were running 33" and 35" rubber. They were so easy to get beneath to do oil changes and other work.

Gee, you got me all nostalgic ...

How did rust get on the inside of the base place gasket ID (where there is always oil) on the WIX?
The filter wasn’t a recent change. It had been sitting for maybe a year. Still odd that it was rusty, since it was oiled and kept out of the elements.

I ran the Baldwin filter for a couple of OCIs on my 18’ 6.7 and they seemed to keep the oil clean a little longer but it always came out black. I ran the FleetGaurd Stratapores mostly. Thanks for the c&p. +1 on the memory lane.

I ran the Baldwin filter for a couple of OCIs on my 18’ 6.7 and they seemed to keep the oil clean a little longer but it always came out black. I ran the FleetGaurd Stratapores mostly. Thanks for the c&p. +1 on the memory lane.
IME diesel oil will always come out black because it’s designed to disperse fine particles of carbon black, which is soot and also a black pigment. Im not convinced a synthetic media would do much better without being much more restrictive. You can only get around physics to a point.

I have always like Baldwin/Hastings filters. We used them for years in the trucking fleet with out issue....I think although Wix is also OK that Baldwin/Hastings always had a overall feeling of being more heavy duty

I have always like Baldwin/Hastings filters. We used them for years in the trucking fleet with out issue....I think although Wix is also OK that Baldwin/Hastings always had a overall feeling of being more heavy duty
I think that’s fair. The Wix had a much more substantial and stiff spring. I’m not sure that spring is used for anything but to keep the media in a good spot though.

I use that same model of Baldwin on my 1996 CTD and it works perfectly. I've cut one open and it looked just like this. I think either one of these filters are outstanding quality for these engines. I will assume that the price point on the Baldwin was more affordable though.

Last edited:
Back