Cub Cadet with Kawasaki Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time for me to buy a new lawn tractor to mow about an acre of mostly level lawn. I am considering the Cub Cadet 1042 with the Kawasaki twin cylinder engine. I am looking for pros and cons regarding the quality of Cub Cadet lawn tractors, as well as comments on the Kawasaki engine. Thanks!

Buy it from a dealer!! Cant specify this enough. We bought our 2006 LT-1046 with the Courage v-twin from our local Cub Cadet dealer and couldn't be happier with it.

Kawasaki is used in a lot of commercial applications. GREAT enginges. What is the HP? How big of a cut do you have (mower deck.) It doesnt really matter what brand you buy, it is the quality of the engine and transmission (if automatic) and the design of the mower deck.

Can't go wrong with the Kawasaki. My father in law has had great luck with his. It is over 20 years old and still starts right up. He has an acre of level lawn up at the lake house he mows with a Kubota. Whatever you buy, buy quality. You won't regret it.

Kawasaki is probably in the top 2 (with Kohler) among engines I'd pick for a lawn tractor. Deere used them in some models for a number of years- I never had one (just Kohlers), but heard only good things about them.

Kawasaki is pretty popular with commercial guys (like at lawnsite.com). Living in WI where Briggs and Kohler are based that would be my choice but I think you'd be getting a quality product with the Kawi.

Kawasaki engine are REALLY durable. Our Cub had one and it had over 3500 hours and running fine when sold. Make sure it is full pressure lube and not splash.
Briggs are oil burning POS's in MY opinion. We had s JD JS175???? with an inkek Pro and it burned oil like no other. The carb was VERY difficult to keep adjusted..
ALL our equipment was bought new and was run on M1 5w30 at the time

I'd buy another Kawi in a heartbeat.. run a good synthetic in it and change in every 25 hours if run hard...

Be careful with Kohlers....most are made in China now and are real POS's....not sure which if any models are still made in Wisconsin. I was so ticked off a few years ago when I purchased a Husq mower, with a Kohler engine (I purposely choose the Kohler over the Honda) and when I got home, it said "Made In China" on it.

So far, only some bits and pieces of my carb have corroded (mostly the vacuum needle) and so I threw a genuine Keihen carb I had laying around on it....fabbed up some linkage, and she runs fine.

But oh my.....I about flew my stack after the 4th time I moved, I went to change the oil, and it said "Made in China" on it. I was close to coming unglued. LOL!!

Kawasaki L&G engines rock. I'm now on #2 and #3.

#2 is an air cooled 17hp single cylinder (bought in 1990), with 1100 hours.

#3 is a liguid cooled 22hp v-twin (bought in 1995), with 2350 hours.

Both are on John Deere mowers. I use Rotella T 10w-30 in both, and have for several years now, and change it once a year.

Synthetic is not necessary, even on a 100-125 hour OCI. I replaced the valve cover gaskets on the 22 hp unit at 2100 hours, and everything was spotless... not even a speck of varnish.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Kawasaki L&G engines rock. I'm now on #2 and #3.

#2 is an air cooled 17hp single cylinder (bought in 1990), with 1100 hours.

#3 is a liguid cooled 22hp v-twin (bought in 1995), with 2350 hours.

Both are on John Deere mowers. I use Rotella T 10w-30 in both, and have for several years now, and change it once a year.

Synthetic is not necessary, even on a 100-125 hour OCI. I replaced the valve cover gaskets on the 22 hp unit at 2100 hours, and everything was spotless... not even a speck of varnish.

+1 on not using synthetic. Not necessary. I would use the OEM oil for it. Synthetic if they make it but if they don't I wouldnt bother

I bought that same 1046 KW Cub Cadet last year. I agree with everyone else:

* Bulletproof Kawasaki engine. ( using Mobil 1 Racing 0W30)

* Buy from a dealer, resist the temptation to buy from a big box store.

* No other drawbacks I cought find. Perhaps, a John Deere would be a better
lawn tractor, but not a better value.

As far as I know, the only Kohlers made in China are the tiny single cyl engines used on push-mowers. The Courage and Command lines are made in the USA.

I too have had great luck with Kawasakis on John Deere products, but I have zero experience with what's available today.

I have to question the 'bullet proof-ness' of a Kawasaki on a ~$1200 riding mower. I'm thinking they're not quite what they used to be. Would I take one over a Kohler Courage or Command (I've owned both)? Sure, if it wasn't anything more than a few dollars more.

Joel

Thanks for all the great comments so far. It is a 18 hp engine with a 42" cut (can't use bigger). It is also an $1800 mower not $1200 (I wish!) I fully intend to buy from a local dealer. It is good to hear that I am on the right track!

Originally Posted By: Wingman
Thanks for all the great comments so far. It is a 18 hp engine with a 42" cut (can't use bigger). It is also an $1800 mower not $1200 (I wish!) I fully intend to buy from a local dealer. It is good to hear that I am on the right track!

Make sure the 42" isn't a timed deck. I don't believe they are anymore. One other item I forgot about the Kawi equipped Cub 1K series, is they'll have a Tufftorq trans as opposed to a Hydrogear brand. Both good, but I've always thought TT is a bit better.

Like I always say, engines make/model is the last thing that concerns me on lawn/garden equipment. Everything else it what breaks first.

Joel

The Kawasaki engines are fantastic, but the Cub Cadet tractors have really gone down hill since being bought by MTD.
My step dad bought one about 8 years ago, thinking it would be top quality like when International made them. He bought it from a dealer and paid good money for it.
His had the Kohler engine , which held up fine, but the rest of the tractor was under built.
Seat frame broke after a few years (he is not a large man either) always throwing belts and having issues with seized up idler pulleys. This summer it threw the deck belt and wrapped it around the electric pto clutch and ruined it, it was a $400 part and not really worth fixing.

He bought a John Deere X series with a kawasaki and couldn't be happier with it!

I've got an air compressor with a Kawi engine. It's a 13hp,twin belt,turning a 40cfm v-twin pump. We use it for condos. It takes 3 men to load and unload it. It was built in 1985. That engine hasn't even had so much as a carb rebuilt. It has a compression release because you cannot pull it over without pushing in the button.
I leave that compressor on the ground floor,I've got a 40 gallon tank with 10 air fittings welded on so just the tank follows up to each floor and the men plug their hoses into it.
The compressor fills the tank to 150 psi in 45 seconds from empty and we regulate each nipple to 110psi. It is impossible to drain the tank enough to stop the guns from shooting unless you cut a hose in half.
That Kawi motor is one of the most reliable engines I've ever had in service. It get put into service only for big projects otherwise I'd need 5 compressors to keep up to that single one.
And it's surprisingly easy on fuel. To run 10 guns steady all day it costs me around 30 bucks. It was around 40 a day before I put MOS2 into the engine and pump itself. And after about a week with MOS2 in them it was easier to pull start too.
Great engines. On par with Honda although this one is an antique and build quality may have gone down since this one was built

Hello, Sooooo interesting to read. Friends bought a 46" deck Cub Cadet LT 1046 w/ 25hp Kohler Command engine from a neighbor. Like lexus 114 in Pennsylvania, they're extremely happy with it. A young machine and of course the seller had no handle on the manuals or any other paperwork. I didn't think there could be more to the story than that. From now on I'll be looking to see any Kawasaki engines in my travels. Kira

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Sooooo interesting to read. Friends bought a 46" deck Cub Cadet LT 1046 w/ 25hp Kohler Command engine from a neighbor. Like lexus 114 in Pennsylvania, they're extremely happy with it. A young machine and of course the seller had no handle on the manuals or any other paperwork. I didn't think there could be more to the story than that. From now on I'll be looking to see any Kawasaki engines in my travels. Kira

Mine doesnt have the Command though, it`s got the V-Twin Courage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back