Cruise in Neutral to a stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
All engines have compression braking (or lack of it)..what diesels don't have is vacuum ..hence the need to stop up the outlet. They don't have a throttle butterfly to slam shut.

When someone says "compression braking" in a gasoline engine ..they mean vacuum braking. Compression braking is a misnomer.

Are you saying that an engine with 8 to 1 compression ratio is as easy to turnover as one with 11 to 1 compression?

The compressed air acts like a spring. What happens when you expand a spring? It wants to contract...and vice-versa.

So, although the engine with the higher compression may be harder to turn over, it also has that much more force at that point at which it's moving by itself. (When turning an engine over by hand you will notice that just after it gets very hard to turn it, it'll move by itself).

Hopefully I explained this in a way that makes sense..

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Driving in neutral is not extremely dangerous.

How did you come to such a conclusion?

The diffrence between an accident and avoiding said accident is milliseconds,barely enough time to get a car in gear.

You dont have time to react to an emergency situation.

I would think that 99.999% of the time the difference between an accident and avoiding one would be either using the brakes or steering, not speeding up.
dunno.gif

...for those who think the brake pedal is like the UNDO or CANCEL button in Windows, maybe. Those are the kind that hit the brakes when the vehicle they've pulled out in front of honks at them.

"Ooops...I made a mistake..better push the UNDO button".

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
All engines have compression braking (or lack of it)..what diesels don't have is vacuum ..hence the need to stop up the outlet. They don't have a throttle butterfly to slam shut.

When someone says "compression braking" in a gasoline engine ..they mean vacuum braking. Compression braking is a misnomer.

Good point. Perhaps better to say "engine braking," a broader, less precise term. When in doubt, weasel word it.

My new signature
smile.gif
:
quote:

NEVER use 5W-30 or 5W-20 oil because it is closer to a grinding compound than a lubricant. --Louis LaPointe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back