Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new SSD Just arrived today, to replace my laptop HD. Pretty sure I ordered the correct model. What I received is a micro SSD. About the size of a large postage stamp. I was expecting a direct replacement for a 2.5" disk drive. I had no idea there was an SSD that small. Anyway, I don't see how it will mount in my laptop.

What I need is a quick primer on SSD's for laptops. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.....

TIA

Wayne

SSDs come in several interfaces, some of which are quite small like M.2 and mSATA. What is the model of your laptop and the model of SSD you received (the number on the box/device) and does that match your order (from your receipt).

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
SSDs come in several interfaces, some of which are quite small like M.2 and mSATA. What is the model of your laptop and the model of SSD you received (the number on the box/device) and does that match your order (from your receipt).

hopefully it was under 100$ and you can return it.. m500 is a below average speed ssd, above average reliability.

if you really want the m500 here it is on sale for 95$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-20148694-L0D

Only concern you should have is thinkness of ssd, for non super thin labtop ( ultra book for example) this size will be fine.

any SSD will be faster than HDD, thats a fact bc the there is moving part that have to align.

this will fit into anything.
some super thin labtops use MSATA interfece, if you have hard drive this drive will work no problem ( granted its built in last 7 years)

This is micron's (crucial is part of micron) top tier consumer SSD. Buy with confidence, I bought about 10 of their 1st gen SSD , they all run perfectly fine to this day. two of which have been abused in server enviorment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

Rats!! Apparently I have ordered a mSATA drive. What I need is a standard 2.5" SATA drive. Looks like I return it and start over. Thanks,

Wayne

I've been abusing my M500 for 1.5 years in a [censored] HP G62 and its performing like day 1.

You ordered the wrong drive, no big deal. Return and reorder a standard 2.5 M500 or M550 if you want to futureproof.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Rats!! Apparently I have ordered a mSATA drive. What I need is a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

If there is a silver lining here, it's that the 2.5 SATA drives are actually a little cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Rats!! Apparently I have ordered a mSATA drive. What I need is a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

If there is a silver lining here, it's that the 2.5 SATA drives are actually a little cheaper.
Yup. $14 to return. Good old Amazon.

There are several SSD's in this size/price range. Is there a better one then the Crucial, or are they pretty much the same quality?

Wayne

There are several SSD's in this size/price range. Is there a better one then the Crucial, or are they pretty much the same quality?

Samsung, Intel, Crucial - they should be fairly comparable. If you're running Windows, Samsung has a nice management utility for their drives... Magician or something to that effect.

Intel 530 Series for laptops - best consistency, Crucial MX100 for good price/performance or Crucial M550 for extra protection, Samsung Pro 840 for excellent price/performance, Sandisk Ultra Pro for the best performance. Samsung 850 PRO for the longest warranty, but it is running hotter than 840 with not much real world gain.

Samsung EVO just admitted the slow-reading bug under certain circumstances. EVO is like C-Class Mercedes there: the champion in price, PR and benchmark realm, but not in the real world.

Intel has the best tools for the long run.

You may (or may not) need 7 to 9 mm adapter, and/or reuse your HDD housing.

Samsung just released new firmware for the EVOs to address the old data speed problem.

Main difference in drives now is the MLC/TLC memory. Longer warranty/reliability/speed is usually with MLC NAND. It is a bit more expensive, but worth it to some users. In the real world, it is darned hard to tell the difference unless you are a benchmark freak. Generally drive sizes divisible by 60 (120/240/480gb)are TLC drives, divisible by 64 (128/256/512gb)are MLC drives. The reduced capacities on the TLC drives are due to the over provisioning required to compensate for shorter memory lifespans.

Can't go wrong with Samsung or Crucial. Still have 2 256gb M4s and a Samsung 830 256gb chugging along. Once again, in the real world, SSD failures due to write limitations/cycles are not a concern. Avoid any old OCZ/Sandforce combos,and avoid Sandforce controllers in general unless Intel wrote the firmware for it.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Samsung just released new firmware for the EVOs to address the old data speed problem.

I'm looking at Samsung's firmware page - the latest firmware for EVO was released in December 2013.

Are you saying there is something newer out there?

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it's the Performance Restoration Software thingy.

I wish I had known about this issue. I just bought an 840 EVO for one of my PCs, and it's running Linux, so this won't help me for now. Should have just gone with Intel.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I just bought a Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT256MX100SSD1. $112.99 with Amazon prime. Will be here Tue. Can't wait much longer. Pretty sure my HD is failing.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: punisher
Still have 2 256gb M4s and a Samsung 830 256gb chugging along.

Yes, Sir. Crucial M4 surprised a many in datacenter server rooms, where it is still serving admirably.

In fact, Crucial has a section on its site where one can buy factory refurbished M4 at very attractive prices, may be the best option for a typical laptop. Don't take the risk, if you want to use more than one virtual machines or put /var or any Oracle fs that is subject to logging, caching and vacuuming, of course.

A good test is to do a CD ripping onto SSD. You may see a significant slowdown in that scenario - waste of money.

As for the EVO bug, Intel also had similar issues on 520 and 530 series, all were corrected by a firmware patch. It takes time.

Originally Posted By: Rand
the mx100 is superior to the m500.
Good to know. I installed the MX100 yesterday, (the 27th.). Used Macrium Reflect. Piece of cake. Really nice crisp operation. Thanks everyone for the info.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back