Crown Vic tires on a Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a co-worker in serious need of new tires who is struggling financially, and has a clapped out "only around town" 06 Escape with one flat and 3 baldies and a shock mount that's busted through to the trunk. I have a full spare set of General 225 60 16 made in 2015 from the set of stock steelies of the Vic, 3 sitting in my basement... 1 sitting outside... didn't notice much if any dry rot... my question is will they fit on a 2006 escape rim with 235/70-16s on it? Excuse my tire/wheel ignorance. I also looked into it and it doesn't seem that the steelies will bolt up due to the slightly smaller center-bore on the Escape.

Thanks in advance.

You should be fine. You can run centering rings if you want but they won't do anything once the crown vic wheels are secured on the escape.

Originally Posted by Olas
if he has a job how is he too poor for new tyres?

Too many possible answers and none of your (our) business.

Decent of you to try to help out PF88, and question for CapriRacer, is there something more dangerous about smaller size good tires than the current bald ones? Of course the personal liability issue of giving someone wrong size tires and they get in a wreck etc etc but realistically the speedo will be way off and what else? Will the guy be tempted to go on road trips with decent tires when he should be staying around town?

"Will the guy be tempted to go on road trips with decent tires when he should be staying around town?"

Tempted or otherwise, all vehicles end up going on the highway.

Simple answer is YES.

Swap your tires onto their escape rims.

It wont matter if it is wrong size. It will not be optimal, fuel efficient, or proper for the vehicle. But it will allow for point a to point b transportation.

Quite a few tire shops will do cheap tire swaps if you dont care about pressure sensors, or you instruct them you dont need balancing. I found shops will do them for $9.99 per tire witout balancing. $15 with balancing.

If the smaller tires are not the right load range (and they probably aren't) then, yeah, they're dangerous, because the chance of failure is high.

So, worn tires that don't grip, or too-small tires that fail...

Not much of a choice, really...

The rims are even very similar, the center pilot hole is the only real difference. The Crown Vic center pilot is bigger, offset & bolt pattern are very close. I actually have Escape alloys on the MGM in my sig, but I had to make the pilot holes slightly bigger (which I DO NOT recommend doing!). The speedometer will be off (10% high), but the wheels & tires would work. I would be more concerned about the strut blown through the body-remember sometimes no good deed goes unpunished...

Originally Posted by Astro14
If the smaller tires are not the right load range (and they probably aren't) then, yeah, they're dangerous, because the chance of failure is high.

2005 Crown Vic Curb Weight - 4,100 lbs
2006 Escape Curb Weight - 3,300 lbs

2005 Crown Vic GVWR - 5,500 lbs
2006 Escape GVWR - 4,680 lbs

If the tires are the appropriate load range for the Crown Vic, they should be able to handle an Escape no problem...

Originally Posted by exranger06
Originally Posted by Astro14

2005 Crown Vic Curb Weight - 4,100 lbs
2006 Escape Curb Weight - 3,300 lbs

2005 Crown Vic GVWR - 5,500 lbs
2006 Escape GVWR - 4,680 lbs

If the tires are the appropriate load range for the Crown Vic, they should be able to handle an Escape no problem...

2 thoughts:

I don't know why Ford (Mazda?) specified that tire size. Perhaps this is an outgrowth of the Explorer issue just before this model year.

Tire dealers are going to be reluctant to mount tires that are 3 sizes too small.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

Tire dealers are going to be reluctant to mount tires that are 3 sizes too small.

Not around here. See this every day.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back