Critique my wash/wax regimen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey BITOG,

I wanted to run by you my wash/wax routine, and see if there's anything that could be changed/added/done differently etc.

Here goes:

1. Wash with Meguiars gold class car wash-it's gold in color. Couple ounces in a bucket with cold water, using a greek sponge, rinse with the hose.

2. Zymol cleaner wax-the teal colored bottle. Do like a 2x2ft area, then take off with a towel

3. Meguiars Gold class paste wax. cover the whole car in it, then take off with another towel.

Your car will rust in a couple more months, you have to use an Italian sponge...

Sorry for the bad joke, this sounds like a very good plan, it really helps to wax at least every 2mo at max. Year round.

you do dry off the car before putting the wax on right?

and i would add in there to use a microfiber towel for wiping off the wax to reduce scratching
cool.gif

I would use a claybar after the initial wash if the vehicle has never been cleaned with a clay bar. I try to use warm water when available. As mentioned above use a high quality micro fiber towel when waxing etc. Also if a Porter Cable random orbit buffer is in your price range, by all means pick one up, it will make polishing and waxing much less tedious, and give better results. At least once a year you should polish the finish to remove hazing, and scratches.

Do you have a black or dark paint job? Meguiars Gold Class wax is designed for dark cars. If you want to bring out the brilliance and also have a wet look use the pure polish Number 3 red bottle from Megs. Then apply the Zymol and then wax.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Also if a Porter Cable random orbit buffer is in your price range, by all means pick one up, it will make polishing and waxing much less tedious, and give better results. At least once a year you should polish the finish to remove hazing, and scratches.

that's the one thing i'm missing in my garage. i just waxed an f-150 today by hand and it got a wee bit hot and sweaty towards the end to say the least
07.gif

does this one look good?
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7424X...;sr=1-3-catcorr
or is there another model that you would recommend?

It's silver in color, or what Subaru likes to call pacific silver metallic (PSM).

Subaru paint is notoriously soft, and the clear coats don't usually last forever on them, so I like to do what I can.

Yeah, I dry it down pretty well after washing/before the wax. I bought the paste wax when I had an '89 pearl white maxima, and I really didn't know much about cars in general...

chubbs1-I got them for $.50 a piece at advance
smile.gif

I like the clay bar idea, never tried it before-do this before the cleaner wax right?

Originally Posted By: Xstang
Hey BITOG,

I wanted to run by you my wash/wax routine, and see if there's anything that could be changed/added/done differently etc.

Here goes:

1. Wash with Meguiars gold class car wash-it's gold in color. Couple ounces in a bucket with cold water, using a greek sponge, rinse with the hose.

2. Zymol cleaner wax-the teal colored bottle. Do like a 2x2ft area, then take off with a towel

3. Meguiars Gold class paste wax. cover the whole car in it, then take off with another towel.

How much time do you have and how crazy do you wnat to get? In the spring I do a full blown detail which will take some time but the results are worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back