Credit Card Fraud Alert

I have always understood that credit card provider will never cold call a customer. Wife order some lotion and shampoo this AM on line from a company she has used for years. About thirty minutes ago a call came in saying they(??) had detected some suspicious use of the card. I automatically concluded this was a scam, even if they did have the card's last four digits. Hung up and had wife call credit card customer service. Provider's fraud prevention help told her there was suspicious activity using the card this AM after she had made purchase. New card will arrive in 8/10 days. She verbally gave vendor her card number. Any ideas how her card number was obtained on our landline through Spectrum? Help appreciated

Typically they ask if you made certain purchases. I had a credit card company call and ask if I had made certain purchases. I had not. The call was legitimate, the purchases were fraud.

Definitely not a cold call - a cold call is a call from someone you have no business relationship with. Since you (or your partner) has an account, not a cold call.

All of my card companies have at one time or another called about suspicious activity on my cards. 4 times out of 5, they are correct that is is fraudulent activity.

Odds are someone on the other end of your partner's transaction stole the card number.

And yes, use the traveling notification to prevent your card from being locked - that has happened a few times - even when traveling to the same places we always do...

Typically they ask if you made certain purchases. I had a credit card company call and ask if I had made certain purchases. I had not. The call was legitimate, the purchases were fraud.
I had a call from Capital One when I made a large purchase at Bass Pro in Fort Myers, Florida. I confirmed that I did make the purchase and that I would be in that area for 2 weeks. Now when I go on vacation I go online to the card company webpages and mark when I will be on out of my normal area.

Years ago I had a purchase on newegg declined by my old CC company. I called them and they said I had a history of buying guns, car parts, and tools but no computer parts. I told them that I unfortunately had expensive hobbies and computers were now one of them. They authorized the purchase.

Back