Credit Card Fraud Alert

I have always understood that credit card provider will never cold call a customer. Wife order some lotion and shampoo this AM on line from a company she has used for years. About thirty minutes ago a call came in saying they(??) had detected some suspicious use of the card. I automatically concluded this was a scam, even if they did have the card's last four digits. Hung up and had wife call credit card customer service. Provider's fraud prevention help told her there was suspicious activity using the card this AM after she had made purchase. New card will arrive in 8/10 days. She verbally gave vendor her card number. Any ideas how her card number was obtained on our landline through Spectrum? Help appreciated

I have always understood that credit card provider will never cold call a customer.
Why so? What's the best, fastest way for them to let you know something's not right? By calling you.
Any ideas how her card number was obtained on our landline through Spectrum? Help appreciated
Not sure what you're asking here.

How is that call a cold call? Did the credit card company confirm they called her?
I forgot to tell her to ask that very question. I just didn't expect a cred card vendor would ever call a card holder. This is the second time in less than two years her card has had fraudulent activity. Tell her all the time to check the URL for lock and http, but I have no idea what she does with her card until something other than air goes through the fan. She had that card long before we were married and her business is her business and I get involved when something goes south.

Why so? What's the best, fastest way for them to let you know something's not right? By calling you.

Not sure what you're asking here.
I concluded her card number was obtained during her transaction over the phone since the call from the credit card provider came less than two hours after she placed the order.

I got a similar call when I tried to make a purchase on Walmart.com. They told me they detected suspicious activity and had denied the charge. I did the same as you, I said thank you, hung up and called Customer service and they confirmed they had called. Since it was the first time I had used Walmart and it was a high risk site they asked me to confirm I was going to reorder and they would watch for it. I dont know if it was because it was over a certain amount because I ordered a set of tires or just because it was the first time on that site. Then 3 mos later I had 20 charges between $1 and $3 to Apple Itunes that I had never used and they did reverse them and sent me a new card because they said scammers use Itunes as a test site to see if the card is good.

This makes me think you believe it was grabbed by a third party over the landline. Most probable answer is that it was passed off to said third party by the person who took your card information at the retailer.
Yes, I considered that too Jim T. Thanks for your post.

I forgot to tell her to ask that very question. I just didn't expect a cred card vendor would ever call a card holder. This is the second time in less than two years her card has had fraudulent activity. Tell her all the time to check the URL for lock and http, but I have no idea what she does with her card until something other than air goes through the fan. She had that card long before we were married and her business is her business and I get involved when something goes south.
Well, I can confirm that credit card companies do call (automated message), text, email, and finally block your card if they sense anything amiss. It happened to us when we were traveling out of state to visit a relative. Using card out of our local range was what triggered it.

Once upon a time , I had charges made on my card at a Walmart in Chicago . I live in Texas . I have never been to Chicago , or even close . Neither do I wish to go .

The bank removed the charges .

Well, I can confirm that credit card companies do call (automated message), text, email, and finally block your card if they sense anything amiss. It happened to us when we were traveling out of state to visit a relative. Using card out of our local range was what triggered it.
Thanks dino

A few months ago I had a message on my landline phone's answering machine from Citibank's fraud alert dept. Rather than calling the number that they left in the voicemail, I called the number on the back of the card. Sure enough, three small test charges were attempted on my account that morning. The first two went through, the third one was blocked. I got a new card with new account number a few days later.

My local bank and Amex regularly call me and text me about potential fraud.

The "local bank" is actually farmed out 'cause it's at least the same 800# for Bank of Colorado and TBK....so probably a great many others, too

Credit card companies will not call and ask you for your CC number. They will call if something is amiss. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not the first time and probably won't be the last time.

I bought some ammo at my LGS a few years ago using a cc that I rarely use and left for home. By the time I got home (20 minutes) my phone and email were blowing up from my CC company with fraud alerts. Someone tried to buy several Applebook laptops and airline tickets. Something happened with my purchase at the LGS. They denied any issues on their end. The CC company takes responsibility and you're not out any money. Big reason why credit card is better than debit card.

You get a new CC and life marches on.

In the old days, pre-smartphones, I remember getting a call from the credit card company asking if I'd made a charge for a large amount, which I had. I remember joking with the rep that the commercials really are true and they *do* actually call people. Moving into this millennium, after a pretty severe hacking I suffered about 3 years ago, I have my card companies text and e-mail rather than call when pretty much anything out of the ordinary occurs and it's worked pretty well. The last time I had a questionable charge, it actually was legit but it was a transaction with a company in a foreign country so it got flagged. I was able to resolve everything online and the charge went through.

One other thing to keep in mind is to notify the issuer if you go on vacation. Saves a lot of hassle when legitimate out of state charges start appearing and the issuer's computer starts freaking out due to a different spending pattern. Don't ask me how I know that...

Discover card will call immediately if they suspect fraud. I've had it happen twice when i used my card out of state.

Back several years ago I made a short trip to Virginia from Southern PA for a couple things and to fuel up with the cheaper gas. On the way back I stopped by the Home Depot in Maryland using the same card. An hour later I got an automated call of possible fraud. I called the number on back of the card and confirmed the purchases.

Now just a couple weeks ago I was doing a daily check and noticed a $1 charge for Stamps.com. Instantly knew someone was trying to test one of our cards. Immediately got a replacement. No clue where they might have got it, possibly a skimmer. You have to do your due diligence now-adays.

I have always understood that credit card provider will never cold call a customer. Wife order some lotion and shampoo this AM on line from a company she has used for years. About thirty minutes ago a call came in saying they(??) had detected some suspicious use of the card. I automatically concluded this was a scam, even if they did have the card's last four digits. Hung up and had wife call credit card customer service. Provider's fraud prevention help told her there was suspicious activity using the card this AM after she had made purchase. New card will arrive in 8/10 days. She verbally gave vendor her card number. Any ideas how her card number was obtained on our landline through Spectrum? Help appreciated
I am starting to believe scammers have a way to monitor calls being placed. I can go for days with no calls and as soon as I place one call, I am bombarded with robocalls. Somethings fisshy.

Yes, all the time and ...

Last but not least, credit cards are absolutely the best way to buy anything. Most secure, you never can lose money and if you have an issue with a purchase its a heck of a lot easier to handle with the credit card company handling it for you, then if you use cash, then your stuck.
Its a win - win for consumers. If you card is hacked or fraud, it is the credit card company problem, not yours.

When I used the Apple Card on a large purchase I got a text message while I was in the store. It asked me if I had made the transaction. I pushed YES. No more problem.

Had I pushed NO, the card would have been cancelled and a new one sent.

Back