CRC silicone lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some CRC silicone lubricant to prevent my door seals from freezing shut this winter. This was my first time using this brand. I like that it dries fast, but the film it leaves is supposedly "invisible." I hope that it actually works. It also has a very strong acetone smell (carrier solvent).

One place it definitely works is on wiper arm springs. I had never lubricated the springs on my Accord and there were rusty spots at the hinge pins. I sprayed them down and after working the arm up & down a few times, I could actually hear the spring in-action. This means the wipers will now make better contact with the windshield
smile.gif

I'd test it in a styrofoam cup before applying to rubber components. If it dissolves the styrofoam, it's a no-go. The carrier solvent may likely damage/degrade the rubber, doing more harm than good.

Silicone sprays I've had good results with (and no melted styrofoam) are the PB Blaster Silicone (white/green can) and Liquid Wrench Silicone (white/maroon can). I spray CV boots, swaybar bushings, ball joint & tie rod boots, door seals...any non-induction rubber, every oil change. I avoid the induction tract and vacuum lines to minimize damaging O2 sensors...may not be a risk, but not worth finding out. The suspension rubber, seals, etc. last the life of the vehicle, never had to replace any of these due to dry rot.

I usually spray a paper towel, then wait a few minutes for the solvents to evaporate, then wipe down the seals. I've even sprayed it into a cup or jar and let it evaporate for a couple of days and then used it like a silicone gel.

I've used the CRC on seals before no problem. I now use Krown Silicone spray but I would use CRC if I didn't have any no problem.

I looked through MSDS sheets for various off-the-shelf silicone sprays and most contain very little silicone. The bulk makeup is HC's like hexane, benzene, naptha, etc. Nasty stuff; I'm glad I wore gloves!

Originally Posted by mclasser
I looked through MSDS sheets for various off-the-shelf silicone sprays and most contain very little silicone. The bulk makeup is HC's like hexane, benzene, naptha, etc. Nasty stuff; I'm glad I wore gloves!

Yep - if you want "pure" silicone with a small bit of filler, Dow 111. It's a almost pure, silica-thickened silicone grease that's trusted by the OEMs for brake slide pin bushings and beyond - it's used in MRO, scuba diving(in regulator O-rings not seeing nitrox service), espresso machines and countless other applications needing silicone lubricant.

I've had luck with 3-in-1 Silicone Spray. I know LPS and CRC make a waterbased silicone spray that's hard to find locally - Grainger, McMaster-Karr and Amazon do stock it.

DOT 5 brake fluid is about 95% silicone. Another BITOG member recommended it a few years ago for conditioning rubber seals. It works well for me. I use syringes made for injecting marinades into meat for lubricants that I want to apply with good control. For rubber seals I just wet a paper towel with the brake fluid. It is very cost effective, too.

I have used silicon sprays since 1996 as recommended by my then 4x4 manufacturer on the door rubber seals once a year. Since then the use has spread to other areas exponentially to include the engine bay (staying well clear of O2/ A/F sensors)

Have used different brands and all give similar results. But the product does not provide any rust protection; lubrication levels are tiny so I use it as rubber dressing, protection & lubricant

Originally Posted by DBMaster
DOT 5 brake fluid is about 95% silicone. Another BITOG member recommended it a few years ago for conditioning rubber seals. It works well for me. I use syringes made for injecting marinades into meat for lubricants that I want to apply with good control. For rubber seals I just wet a paper towel with the brake fluid. It is very cost effective, too.

Interesting. Before DOT 5 , old time detailers used DOT 3 fluid on tires and other rubber items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back