CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaning???

Cleaning out the MAF/MAP and throttle body seems like an easy maintenance item to do once every few years. In terms of cost-benefit analysis, you're not using any parts, it's not that labor intensive, and the sprays are relatively cheap. The benefits don't have to be huge if the costs are low, in my way of thinking lmao.

Next up on maintenance list... Cleaning the MAP sensor. Sounds like it would be beneficial.
So i bought a can of CRC mass air flow cleaner and new air filter, and from my eye, neither were shot, (air filter slightly less then brand new white, and MAF "looked" clean) but figured it would not hurt and clean the MAF, and change out the air filter.

on the Elantra, it has a two stage air filter, a replaceable normal white one and maybe finer / charcoal colored one that built into the airbox that is not removable so i assume the air is extremely clean entering the engine. Anyways i gave the MAF a good cleaning, and reinstalled everything. Car started, and ran just as well as before, so it did not hurt it lol, but i dont expect a 10HP increase because it really wasn't dirty to begin with. It might feel "slightly" better in the mid to high range, but i cant prove if it was a dirty MAF or new air filter, or both giving this impression...

So overall i would recommend it, esp on higher mileage, or on a vehicle that might of been run without the air filter securely in place. My 2 cents.

Claims of power gains are usually found to be true with brand name companies if you follow the exact thing the company claimed they achieved the power increase.
To use K&N I have personally test a few of there products when I still had my shop with a DYNO. If I used the same car, engine, transmission and set up the DELTAs on the DYNO program properly it was easy to get what they claimed. I use to do this for dozens of products over the years and if they were brand names I really the biggest companies claiming power gains were Performance mufflers and exhaust systems. WOW talk about pulling teeth to get them to tell you the cars and engines, mods and so on that they make their advertised claims, good luck!
The average person can not feel a true 10HP gain. Butt DYNO's are mostly just that.
The K&N MYTH about causing issues mostly getting a DTC has been pretty much debunked on most car forums in that it was found the end users often times over oiled them NOT following the directions when cleaning and serving them. I know Pandora's box . Some of you still think that placing a battery on the ground will kill it? I find that members on different forums that still bring it up either never owned one, never had an issue owning and if they did BS about how they serviced it or found out after they posted the negative reviews that their problem was something else.
All of my list vehicles have K&N air filters. That covers pretty much across the board for a Varity of engines and NEVER having a problem using them. ;)

It depends on how the MAF is running. I had a b4000 that had spat oil up the breather hose and to the air filter, coating the maf and making the truck run like absolute garbage. After i cleaned the maf and replaced the air filter it ran like new.

Back