CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaning???

Truly find this hard to believe, picked up a can for a friends 2006 Chevy Malibu 3.5L that brought up multiple codes lately. Point being, states on the can____

1) Increases MPG & Fuel Economy
2) Proven to Gain 4-10 horsepower at the wheels
3) Improves Air-to-Fuel Ratio.

Find the 4-10 horsepower mentioned "really" hard to believe?????

Worst case scenario is if unfiltered air was getting in and mucking up the MAF wires to the point where it begins to misfire. Happened to a Toyota Tundra V6 I was working on. Felt like it had loads of power after cleaning the intake side (new air filter, TB/MAF cleaning.)

Didn't K&N air filters claim an increase of 20 horsepower ? I dont know why CRC claims an increase in horsepower when most people only clean there MAF sensor when there car isn't running right.

The US actually has consumer protection laws and companies can't "lie" on product labels. CRC must have documented instances where they saw 4-10 HP gains. Doesn't matter what the circumstances were either.

You can also use alcohol or methanol as long as it is undiluted and leaves no residue. Some vehicles actually seem to run better without the MAF plugged in. The open loop subroutine allowing a richer combustion process. Not so good for fuel mileage,emissions or CEL's though.

I run several K&N filters. Clean the MAF every 40K when I clean and oil the filter. Give the MAF a whiff of the red oil and reinstall. Instant HP increase every time. ;)

1623531277053.jpg

Doesn't oiling the air filter just dirty up the MAF a lot sooner?
My understanding is, yes. The average person may never need to clean their MAF while some might choose to do it at 50k or more miles just for good measure. With oiled air filters though, you'd better check and clean more often. People are probably using too much oil on their filters in many cases too.

CRC MAF cleaner is good stuff. Nissan also has problems with MAF sensors, and CRC really helped a lot on my old 4th gen Maxima. Since the cleaner isn't expensive, it's worth trying. The worst case scenario is that you lost $5 and a few minutes, and you need a new MAF sensor.

Truly find this hard to believe, picked up a can for a friends 2006 Chevy Malibu 3.5L that brought up multiple codes lately. Point being, states on the can____

1) Increases MPG & Fuel Economy
2) Proven to Gain 4-10 horsepower at the wheels
3) Improves Air-to-Fuel Ratio.

Find the 4-10 horsepower mentioned "really" hard to believe?????
I really find the claims hard to believe as well. Perhaps the claimed performance improvements are there if the MAF sensor is covered in dirt or debris. However, I routinely clean the MAF sensor and the throttle body when I replace the engine air filter annually. On my car, the MAF sensor and the throttle body can be easily removed so it adds about 20 minutes to the job, and I already have bottles of the CRC cleaners. The TB is usually really clean after the first cleaning, and I've never seen anything on the MAF sensor wire.

Many later cars have MAP in place of MAF now and are safer to use CRC or other carb cleaners.
LM's MoS2 is another very good product to smooth out, quiet and cool down engine and get better MPG.

Back