Crankcase pics part 2.. Reassembly. 96 Satty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second part to my original thread. These are the reassembly pics of the timing components on my 1996 Saturn SL2 DOHC. 231K KMs.

Took some pics of the cam lobes for the BITOG'er in me. I'm sure some of you will find that more interesting than the other pics!
48.gif

Enjoy either way.

You mean to tell us that heavily varnished motors will run just fine even without expensive Auto-RX treatments? How dare you.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
You mean to tell us that heavily varnished motors will run just fine even without expensive Auto-RX treatments? How dare you.
27.gif

Haha.. My apologies.

Yeah this engine runs great. The timing side was making noise and had some play in the links, but otherwise the engine pulls strong and loves to rev. I have no idea what the past maintenance history is on this car prior to spring of 2009. (When I got it)

Certainly an improvement over what this poor engine looked like yesterday, that's for sure. Nice work!

Any chance we can blame the build up on Pennzoil?
39.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Seems to be some wear on the camshaft - galling on the lobes and whatnot.

I was about to make the same comment while browsing his thread on Saturnfans. :)

Hey for over 100K (I have no idea what 231 KM's is, dammit)I think it looks pretty darn good, thanks for the pics. I think you'll have some more life outta this one!
19.gif

It's roughly 143k miles. And for a car with unknown history its not that bad. Varnish its cosmetic and won't affect its ability to perform.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Seems to be some wear on the camshaft - galling on the lobes and whatnot.

Those lobes like fine to me. A little shiney on the tip of the lobe is how they all look

Nicely done. How long did it take you to swap the timing chain and the other parts?

Have you started the engine yet?

Thanks for the comments and compliments all.

It's taken me a while to do this job, but I have been meticulous because it's my first time doing this particular work, and I really want to make sure it's done how its suppose to. I spent quite a while wiping the mating surfaces with Acetone as well. I will be hopefully starting this car a few hours after I post this message. It would run as it sits, but I just have to put all the parts back in now.. That is the timing cover, accessories, belt, etc.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What's with the weird set of narrow lobes on both cams?

That's just the back of the cam.. Haven't seen enough internals to say how/if that is different than the norm.

Job is done and car is running fantastic.
I did a fill of Formula Shell 10w30 for the after assembly run. I didn't run it more than 20 minutes before draining the fill and adding more fresh oil.

I used a Proselect Napa filter for the short run, and by the time I took the filter off from running 20 minutes it was literally heavy, even after it sat and drained for an hour.

I put in a Napa Gold 1516 filter and some Pennzoil Platinum :) Should clean the engine up a little more if anything. I have a couple jugs so I'll run it through the winter 100% for sure.

Anyways, that's my little update.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What's with the weird set of narrow lobes on both cams?

That's just the back of the cam.. Haven't seen enough internals to say how/if that is different than the norm.

That's just weird! I looked closer and see what you mean; they are all like that. Strange!!!

I noticed that on my Mom's Saturn when I looked down the oil cap. I believe it is to spin the lifters; look how it only thins to the one side and not both sides evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back