Craigslist boat for sale: Bargain or scam?

I sold my 2 jet skis after 10 years of owning for $1000 on Craigslist. I had 5 emails about them within the first two or three minutes. Had clear titles to them. Just needed them gone asap due to a personal situation. One of the skis had a blown motor so it was going to cost a bit to get it back on the water. The other ran fine.

[edit] and when I say blown motor, it had an extra inspection port on the side of the block, so there was defintely no saving it.

Maybe could have gone a little higher on the price but the lowball price had the intended effect. They were gone in less than 2 hours with zero hassle and was paid in cash.

Well maybe the certificate of origin from the manufacturer.

You buy a used trailer in KY and move to NY with no title from your trailer. You think NY DMV will say 'its OK with no title I know you are from KY".

NY did not have titles for small trailers but used the registration for the purpose of a title when selling.
Yeah, no trailer registrations in SC. Nothing, no plates, no tags, nothing. Loved South Carolina, land of the free compared to where we came from in NY 15 years ago.

When we moved to NC (that does require registration and tags/plates) from SC which doesnt, we needed a Notarized Receipt from the boat dealer who boat the bought from the original owner (on trade) and also our sales receipt from when we bought the bought from the dealer. Thank goodness the dealer was so responsive and nice to get us everything we needed as we now live in another state.

With that said, if we weren't able to produce those documents, there was another way, just more hassle, would have had to bring the boat by appointment to a state official to examine it and write off on it.

I have a title for my current boat trailer and my tractor hauler. I just don’t have to license them. I know my 5x8 mower trailer also had a title when I bought it new, but I’m not sure I could find it 15 years later.

FWIW the guy hasn’t responded to my email yet.

I’ve emailed three times from two different accounts with no response. He’s either harvesting e-mail addresses or a deadbeat.

Back