Craftsman wheeled string trimmer - early review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted a wheeled string trimmer because I have some heavy weeds to cut, and my back and arms get sore from using a heavy gas-powered trimmer. I looked at lots of reviews of various trimmers, and picked the Craftsman. The reviews were good, it has a Briggs and Stratton engine, and it was available locally. No one else seems to carry wheeled string trimmers in stock around here, except Tractor Supply, which is about a 50-mile round trip. The guard also looked superior to other $299 trimmers.

So far, it's great. A lot of the reviews of the $299 Swisher were pretty negative, saying that it was nearly impossible to start when hot, threw its belt, and used up its string fast. None of these have so far been true of the Craftsman. Starts hot or cold with one, or sometimes two pulls, string is very heavy and lasts really well until you hit some jagged concrete or something. Even then, it sometimes will survive. I like the fact that to start it, you just advance the throttle (handle mounted), and pull the rope. No priming bulbs or choke. It also has a clutch, which disengages when you let go of the safety bar on the handle, so you don't have to re-start.

The Cub Cadet also had good reviews, but again, not in stock except at Tractor Supply. I talked to the sales lady at the sears store, and she says they stock common parts like air filters and the the little round plastic thing in the front that it rides on, so that's also an advantage.

I've run it for maybe two hours, yesterday and today, and mowed down a ton of weeds. I like it.

I sold my father in law's Craftsman, walk behind trimmer last Summer. He had used it for about two hours, then didn't touch it. Before I could sell it, I had to cut a piece of metal and grind a cutting edge on it, to replace a decent size gouge the string had taken out of the cover. The "better" line he replaced the original stuff with was a little too long and had eaten the plastic edge like it was Styrofoam. I'd keep an eye on the surface under the guard to make sure the line isn't "chipping away" at it. Might have to cut 1/8 inch off the line to keep it from slowly damaging it. The 190cc Briggs engine ran smooth as butter.

Late 90's model here, came of the farm.
One head and stingle and bearings, and a few belts and sparkplugs.
Heck got lucky, grampa ran it fill for life.
I have owned two years and use it more then the dr trimmer.

harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back