Craftsman (MTD) Front-Propelled System not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old 21" Craftsman (MTD) Front-Self Propelled lawn mower with the 6.5HP B&S Quantum Series engine and I can't get my self propel system working. I've taken it apart twice now looking for broken hooks or anything and I can't figure it out. The belt is tight and turning the gearbox when I pull the lever. If I hold the front end of the mower in the air, pull the lever to start the wheels, one of the wheels turns the other doesn't. If I lower the front end on the ground the turning wheel stops, it won't continue turning under load...Is this a sign my gear box is finished?
craftsman_6_75_hp_briggs_and_stratton_motor_as_i.jpg

Last edited:
Possibly the gearbox, but have you pulled the wheels and looked at the plastic gears inside the wheels??

Last edited:
The wheels are around $25 and the gearbox around $75. Look on partstree.com. Once you have the part numbers you can look on EBAY or Amazon and see if they are cheaper.

Sounds like the gearbox if both wheels have an issue when the mower is on the lawn.

Lawn mowers are getting expensive. Even a cheap 21" push mower is getting close to $200.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Just as a possible bit of helpful information for locating parts: Many Craftsman mowers are made by American Yard Products (AYP) as opposed to MTD. Here is a chart that shows who made a Craftsman/Sears product based on the first three digits of the model number:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Craftsman/Craftsman_Search.html

Andrew S.

When I worked at Sears a year or so ago it was 247 for MTD and 917 for Husqvarna. I do not think there were any other manufacturers. That is for lawn mowers.

If the drive system is anything like my old Craftsman...the bearings that the pully shaft rides in...wear out and need replacing.

Do you hear a grinding sound? The nylon gear ring on the wheel can strip out. Had that happen when the drive shaft bushing get sloppy.If its quiet and the other wheel spins, sounds like the gearbox to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back