Craftsman GT manual trans fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an early 2000's Craftsman GT with 22hp Kohler v-twin, has the manual between the knees 6-speed Hi/Low transaxle.

I finally figured out where the fill plug is on this unit, so I'm all set to do this fluid change. My question is regarding the most appropriate replacement fluid-- some internet sleuthing suggests that Craftsman/AYP used non detergent SAE30 oil in these. The oil that drained out was a very copper/bronze colored metal soup with a neutral odor (definitely not gear oil), and viscosity resembling something along the lines of a 30 weight. So this would seem to confirm the internet rumors about SAE30 being the factory fluid.

I can't help but think there has got to be a better fluid for this application than a plain non detergent oil. Is there anything around the SAE30 weight that might have some anti-wear additives in it, that might provide better protection? Perhaps a synchromesh fluid or even ATF might work better than what was in there? I drained old oil after 2-3 hours of mowing and the fluid was barely warm to the touch-- so I doubt a thicker oil would much of an improvement. How does syncromesh & ATF compare to SAE30 viscosity wise? How about 75w-90 gear oil?

It's been over 10yrs since I followed and read up on those (BIL had one).

If it was engine oil that drained out and SAE30 is the recommended, I'd be inclined to use a 15w40 or 20w50 in it. Then again, these don't tend to get very hot. Where was the fill plug?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
It's been over 10yrs since I followed and read up on those (BIL had one).

If it was engine oil that drained out and SAE30 is the recommended, I'd be inclined to use a 15w40 or 20w50 in it. Then again, these don't tend to get very hot. Where was the fill plug?

Drain plug is where you'd expect, bottom of case. Fill plug is sort of hidden and eluded me for the longest time. Finally spotted it, it's right above the axle shaft on drivers side but the wheel hub blocks view of it until you take the tire off.

I looked all around at my options and the two fluids I'm considering are:

Tractor Supply Universal trans/hydraulic oil. This one is listed as a 10w-30 multigrade with additives that make it suitable for transmission and hydraulic use. Has dozens of equipment certifications listed.

Ford mineral SAE90 GL-1 Tractor Transmission fluid - Designed for older Ford tractors that need a GL-1 gear lube (doesn't have EP additives that can damage yellow metals), recommended in manual transmissions in tractors of all types. Don't know if this stuff might be a tad thick though.

Or should I just go with plain old non-detergent SAE30?

The 00 grease mentioned was the consistency of pudding. I don't even know how I'd get that in the transmission.
confused2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back