craftsman/briggs&stratton going up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Not likely.

Agreed. In fact, it's so unlikely they go back together correctly, that if they do, the FIRST thing you should do is go by a lottery ticket because you'd be one seriously LUCKY fool.

Sorry to say, but remove the cover, clean all surfaces and set the valve lash the correct way. The spec on these is very tight and not terribly forgiving. The last one I did, chattered a bit and it was only a few thousandths of an inch off. I had to remove the cover and set them again. A tip- set your valves, then rotate the engine through several cycles and re-check.

Ok..will do..manual tune up specs are 3 to 5 intake and 5 to 7 exhaust.would it be wise to split the difference and try to hit 4 and 6? Again thanks for your time and help..
chance

Originally Posted By: chance
Ok..will do..manual tune up specs are 3 to 5 intake and 5 to 7 exhaust.would it be wise to split the difference and try to hit 4 and 6? Again thanks for your time and help..
chance

Again, the compression release is on the exhaust valve. I you are 3-5 over the spec the engine most likely won't turn over. It's important you get it right.

Hi guys it's chance..sorry about the no reply but I think the old Dell pc got bit by a storm....any way for a first timer it went back together,runs and cuts like a brand new one! Took me several trys to get the valves adjusted correct..but it was a lot of fun to learn new stuff..but I'm sure thankful for everyone's info and advice ..it helped me a lot.. chance

Congratulations! Glad it worked out well for you! There's a definite feeling of satisfaction when you accomplish something you've never done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back