Cracked Frame or Water Leaks at the Sliding Backlite - How common is it?

D4D7B6F4-5150-45E5-8A67-7F7CFCECC45D.jpeg

It seems to be a common issue on the 19-20 Ram 1500 (DT) trucks, but a quick google search suggests that F150's and Silverado/Sierra's are not completely immune from leaks. Is this an inherent issue with this style of rear window?

I am actually a bit surprised that it took almost 3 years and 24K for the issue to show up. But judging by some of the owner feedback, this may become a regular replacement item.

any more links to the issue?
I'd like to understand the cause and the damage as there is a 2020 ram in the family.

A materials issue perhaps? Plastic just doesn’t crack like that unless something is causing it.

The airbag above the window caught my eye. I didn’t know they had those there. Hopefully that’s not affected.

Apparently a known issue, there's an updated part. We had ours replaced (it cracked and was leaking), think I mentioned it on here?

Have seen a handful…glass guy puts a new one in for us

Used to be the high mount brake lamp that leaked on most of the ds rams they revise they and can’t make a slider frame

Just more quality

Got my truck back from the dealer. They ordered a window, but the order “bounced” and we learned that it is on national backorder with no eta.

During the drive home, I learned that it is starting to leak a little. So, the truck is in my garage for the foreseeable future.

This has been a thing for years across makes depending on year and model. I remember my cousin's new 1999 F-150 Lariat pouring water in the back window. Encapsulated style windows that are bolted in and will have water running down them can just be like that. Brake lights are of course an issue too.

I’ve never seen cracking on my Chevy or Dodge trucks.

On the gen II dodge trucks, the third stoplight can be a leak source. The window has drain holes in the lower corners, and it will leak if those drain holes are clogged.

I have a 2020 DT and so far so good. I’m only around 16K though, but out of warranty if it does fail. Many theories, but no smoking gun.

Back