CR-V Owners (and others too) - Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to check out http://www.collegehillshonda.com for great prices on honda fluids/parts etc. Even with shipping charges you will prob save some nice $$$ vs going to your local dealer. Saves you a trip also.

I saved 42% on a pcv valve with them vs my local dealer. I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

To the OP: Congrats on your new (to you) ride! It's funny because the CR-V and the Integra are very similar and I bought mine from a little old lady as well! In a sense, the CR-V is just a SUV version of the Integra. From what I understand, they share a similar chassis (if not the same) and use the same engine family (B-series), under the hood they look almost exactly the same as well in terms of the layout and parts used. The only real difference that I've been able to see is the air filter is a little different.

I've had excellent luck with Amsoil ATF in my Honda automatic transmission, which I switched it to when I purchased the car. In the crankcase I have used Valvoline, Amsoil and Havoline (all 5W-30) and plan to use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 next. I personally prefer and recommend the A01 Honda oil filters. In my opinion they are the best built filter for the price, and use Filtech media and are made by Filtech (a subsidiary of the JDM parts supplier Toyo-Roki). I've used one on my Integra for 4,300 miles using Havoline 5W-30 and the insolubles came back nice and low, oil pressure on startup was perfect every time. The only thing is, they've been discontinued and replaced by the inferior Honeywell A02, essentially a Fram built to Honda specifications. The Japanese HAMP filters are essentially the same as the A01 filters, they just cost a lot more. Off the shelf, I really like Purolator & Wix/Napa Gold oil filters and for air filters I am VERY happy with the Wix/Napa Gold I'm using now, always keeps the silicon very low, even driving through extremely dusty construction zones! Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for another pair of very useful posts there.

We have put over 1,000 miles on the CR-V in the last week, mainly over the holiday weekend. We've done some fairly hard driving, lots of high passes, and even found its limits off road, and it has been pretty much flawless.

I am in the middle of adjusting the valves, and none are excessively tight. Bit of a relief, there. They're actually all pretty close to spec. Great engine to work on - probably the easiest valve adjustment I have ever done. Tons of room for everything, and very logically put together. The engine is sparkly clean on the inside, another welcome find since the last several cars I've bought have been varnished to varying degrees. The spark plugs look perfect, gap and everything. I checked the trans fluid and it looks like it was put in yesterday. I'm lovin' this car.

Yeah, they're real easy to do a valve adjustment on provided the previous mechanic didn't overtighten the locking nuts (don't ask how I know!) mine are on so tight that I'm forced to take it to the dealer again in 10k miles to have them adjust it again, when I know I'm fully capable of doing it myself. Just can't get those nuts loose, no matter how hard I've tried.

Glad you're enjoying the new ride, I'm sure it'll give you many many more miles of happy motoring.
thumbsup2.gif

satinsilver that tip on College Honda came in very handy. Their prices on fluids were literally half my local dealer's on average. I just put in an order for 4qts dual pump II, 3qts PS fluid, 3 gallons coolant (premix, dangit) and even with shipping it'll be under $100. Local cost would have been around $160 with tax.

ThirdYe my valve locknuts were tight but nothing like that. By the way your assessment on filters looks spot on from what I can determine - do you know of a source for the A01 filters or are they all gone?

Just dont hit anything with the front end. Those things crumble pretty easy on frontal impacts.

And I must ask. Is valve adjustments on them stated any where in the manual? I mean seriously come on this is the 21st century. No modern engine should require periodic valve adjustments.

Expedition 1 / CRV 0

Accident6-8-2006003.jpg

Accident6-8-2006002.jpg

My local dealership amazingly have nearly the same prices on all Honda fluids, they charge tax but online stores like college Honda and others shipping so after all I’ll probably hardly save couple of $ when ordered online if at all. For some reason dealership don’t interested make a lot of profit on fluids but charge arm and leg for accessories -100-200% over online stores.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

And I must ask. Is valve adjustments on them stated any where in the manual? I mean seriously come on this is the 21st century. No modern engine should require periodic valve adjustments.

Yeah, my crv2008 requires valve adjustment around 100K, always thought that Toyota engines superior to Honda in terms of maintenance & reliability. I considered to buy Rav4 instead but hate their bulky like minivan body plus spare wheel in the back .. yuck
37.gif

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Just dont hit anything with the front end. Those things crumble pretty easy on frontal impacts.

But very easy to straighten back out with a gently applied blowtorch. My wife inattentively rear-ended a Volvo at a stoplight. Popped off the front clip of my gen 2 in 5 minutes. Had it back on and straight in maybe 20 minutes???

Quote:

Just the gen 1 engine, which, technically, was a 20th century engine. I've had a gen2 and the only thing the engine requires is the VERY occasional oil change.[/quote]

Quote:
Expedition 1 / CRV

I didn't know these were market competitors????

Before anyone flames, I misspoke. The gen2 and later engines don't have a problem with valve adjustment. Yes, they are supposed to be inspected every 110k miles. But the gen1 engines valves were going outta whack well-before then.

Originally Posted By: gaspo
Maybe just me but it looks like ‘Expedition / Toyota Rv4’

Ahhh, I can't view photobucket on worktime so had no idea what that was about.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Yeah, that's a Toyota in that pic, not a Honda..........

Well shoot i didnt even pay any attention to it your right its a toyota! Notice the woman on the phone? She was on the phone when she flew into the parking lot off the main road and never hung up. Needless to say her insurance paid to fix our expedition and she received tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back