CPS sensor failure in 3800v6?

Is it worth changing a crank position sensor as a preventative maintenance in my 2001 Pontiac grandprix?

Ya never know. Never changed a cps on either my 03 and 05 and I've got well over 500k on them combined and it doesn't keep me up at night either. But if you want to you could. Just don't replace a good yet old well working oem part that could've lasted 150k more with a new cheapy 3rd party one that will fail in 20k. I've met many people who replaced good working oem parts with new crap parts and began having issues especially with coils and some sensors.

Ya never know. Never changed a cps on either my 03 and 05 and I've got well over 500k on them combined and it doesn't keep me up at night either. But if you want to you could. Just don't replace a good yet old well working oem part that could've lasted 150k more with a new cheapy 3rd party one that will fail in 20k. I've met many people who replaced good working oem parts with new crap parts and began having issues especially with coils and some sensors.
How about the fuel pump? Did you ever change them?

How about the fuel pump? Did you ever change them?
Somehow both the fuel pumps haven't failed. Only thing that did fail once was the stupid evap canister on my 2005 yukon in 2018 causing it to click repeatedly but the only thing I've changed on both is the fuel filter about every 50-70k Those do get clogged pretty bad after 80k so I'd recommend replacing them. A mechanic told me to change fuel filters because clogged filters stress the pump and cause it to fail early. Have no idea if its true or maybe was back then but not anymore today but it seems logical so i do that. And maybe it is true I've got over 320k and counting on the same factory pump.

Sure, They fail....But so does the Ignition Control Module. I've also seen the wiring between the Crank Sensor & Ignition Control Module cause issues.
The Harmonic Balancer can come apart & take the Crank Sensor out.

I've rarely proactively changed parts for no reason other than some cooling parts on my Cruze because the failure rate/probability is ridiculously high.

On a Series 2 3800....The Coolant Elbows breaking & The Upper Intake Plenum springing a leak around the EGR stove pipe would be my top parts for proactive replacement.

The crank bolt can be a real PITA on those, I wouldn't do it for a "lets play with some tools" experience. Like Cline said change the coolant elbows with aluminum ones with OE O rings and the LIM gaskets (if original or plastic ones) and a new upper plenum with a reduced diameter EGR stove pipe.

I don't remember if this problem carried on or not, but some of my earlier 3800s I had problems with the CPS magnet falling out of the timing gear. Plastic holder disintegrated over time. Pain to change. If that's still the case for the later ones, I'd change that preventatively...

Sure, They fail....But so does the Ignition Control Module. I've also seen the wiring between the Crank Sensor & Ignition Control Module cause issues.

I've rarely proactively changed parts for no reason other than some cooling parts on my Cruze because the failure rate/probability is ridiculously high.

On a Series 2 3800....The Coolant Elbows breaking & The Upper Intake Plenum springing a leak around the EGR stove pipe would be my top parts for proactive replacement.

Clinebarger is spot on regarding Getting your intake manifold and the manifold gaskets changed out since all of these engines have this happen to them and you don’t want to lose an otherwise fantastic engine with long life potential by waiting too long to change yours. Did mine at around 65,000 miles and even at that point, you could tell that there was degradation with those gaskets. The good news is, there are lots of parts options for this repair and once it’s completed properly, you should not have the issue again.

Back