Cover for Jack Oil

Hey I just bought this jack oil

I realized they didn't give me a cap for it, and I figure it's bad to leave uncovered. I already opened it. Any ideas to keep it covered or if there is a way I can buy a cap. I was thinking to cover the top in some rtv since I will very rarely use it.

You could probably stop at any service garage and ask for a cap off an empty gear oil bottle. Clean it off extra good and wrap electrical tape over it. Stick a noise protection ear plug in it. Turn a correct size screw into it. Wood dowel. Remove the spout and put a 1 quart oil bottle cap on (it works).

Unscrew the cap and put a piece of plastic bag over the opening and screw the cap back on?

My main concern would be keeping the majority of the contents inside the bottle if if fell over. Wouldn't be super concerned with contamination through that tiny hole.

Good idea on the bag. So I actually tried putting a screw in it but it cracked the top a little bit. I used some quick drying rtv and I can't squeeze any out so seems pretty solid. What's yalls take on that. I guess I can poke a hole on the rtv to gain access again. I don't think I'll need to use the oil more than once every 1-3 years.

Good idea on the bag. So I actually tried putting a screw in it but it cracked the top a little bit. I used some quick drying rtv and I can't squeeze any out so seems pretty solid. What's yalls take on that. I guess I can poke a hole on the rtv to gain access again. I don't think I'll need to use the oil more than once every 1-3 years.
id be worried you might get a chunk of rtv contamination. would have just used a nail. screws have threads and dont work as good.

Yeah that's true. I might just pour it into a cup next time I us it and see if any chunks fell off. I think if I unscrew the top cap and poke a hole I'll avoid any chunks falling into the oil though.

Last edited:
I was looking at the clearance rack at my local O'Reilly yesterday and an open box item made me think of this thread: vacuum cap possibly?

Back