Counties with emissions testing

Only certain more densely populated areas here in Pennsylvania. Cars with CEL's will not pass; they usually get sent to my rural country where it goes through a sticker slap inspection station where it will eventually rot in half after another year. Fulton county, where cars come to die :LOL:

I am in Ca. Nuff said! 1976 model year and newer gas cars and trucks require emission testing every 2 years or with change of ownership.

Diesels not till 1998 or so.
My 2014 is up for its first smog inspection this year. Which reminds me I have to take the catch can off and put the OE PCV hose back on since they took away the exemption for catch cans a few years ago.

I used to live in NC and it was county by county, with more populated counties typically being the ones to require it.

Around 2000ish they dropped emissions testing for all pre-OBD II vehicles and went to a plug in "test" only.

Pennsylvania has several regions in the state. At one time all the regions had different requirements but have for the most part converged. Diesel vehicles are exempt from emissions inspection in all areas. All vehicles 9001 pounds GVWP and over are exempt in all parts of the state

Philadelphia region (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties) and Pittsburgh region (Allegheny, Beaver, Washington and Westmoreland counties)
75-95 all vehicles 9000 pounds gvwr and under, visual inspection and gas cap test
96-current vehicles 8500 pounds gvwr and under, OBD II inspection and gas cap test, Check engine light must function, must not be illuminated, must not be commanded on, Monitors must be complete. 96-2000 may have 2 monitors not complete, 2001-current may have 1 monitor not complete.
96-current vehicles 8501 to 9000 pounds GVWR, two speed idle test with gas analyzer and gas cap test

South Central region (Berks, Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Northampton and York counties)
75-95 all vehicles 9000 pounds gvwr and under, visual inspection and gas cap test
96-current vehicles 8500 pounds gvwr and under, OBD II inspection and gas cap test, Check engine light must function, must not be illuminated, must not be commanded on, Monitors must be complete. 96-2000 may have 2 monitors not complete, 2001-current may have 1 monitor not complete.
96-current vehicles 8501 to 9000 pounds GVWR, visual inspection and gas cap test

Northern Region (Blair, Cambria, Centre, Erie, Lackawanna, Lycoming, Luzerne, Mercer)
All Vehicles get a visual inspection and a gas cap test.

A vehicle registered in one of these 25 counties that has been driven less than 5000 miles in the previous 12 months that has been owned by the same owner for that time (mileage must be able to be documented) is exempt from emissions inspection.

42 County region (all other counties). These counties are the least populous counties in the state, with all major metropolitan areas in other counties.
These vehicles do not get a separate emissions inspection. These vehicles get a visual inspection of the emissions control systems as part of their annual safety inspection. These vehicles do not display a separate emissions inspection sticker, just a safety inspection sticker.

If anyone has any questions about PA's emissions program ask, I have been an inspector for as long as my county has had emissions inspections

Minnesota is correct. No safety or emission tests.

There used to be emission testing, but it probably ended in the late 1980s/early 1990s(?).

They stopped the emission testing a few years back here in WA state. The reason given was that pollution levels were satisfactory and improving.

TX have OBD-II test in counties where the big metroplex is in like DFW, Austin, Houston, El Paso, San Antonio (?).
May be sniff test in some county.

Here is the link:
1996 is now exempt & 1997 will be exempt next year (Rolling 24 years), The Dyno & measuring tail pipe emissions output went out with the 1995 vehicle exemption. I don't believe San Antonio (Bexar County) does testing, But Austin (Harris) & Round Rock/Georgetown (Williamson) does.

Make a good bit on Emissions repair, Mostly EVAP related.....I have no reason to dislike the program.

I personally wish California had a safety inspection. So made janky looking cars and trucks on the road.
Many are from Mexico. I rarely see a cop writing a car up for whatever. People drive 2x the speed limit in town and never get caught. I am sure that a fix it ticket is even more rare here. I drove 20+ years with a very broken windshield. A new one was not available and it took me that long to find a good one @ picapart.

I can confirm that Metro Atlanta GA does have a very basic emissions test which is plug into OBD2, check that cat converter is still there and a gas cap test. Diesels are exempt.

Even so it is a basic test I think it does cause people to ditch cars that have expensive emissions repairs. I traded a 2012 Fiat 500 a lot earlier than anticipated because it needed a nearly $900 repair to fix an EVAP leak and I ran out of time to get it done and get the ECU emissions check ready - the ticket for expired registration is upwards of $800+ so I gave up and just ditched it.

I believe it’s an EPA mandate, he was just behind the “how” not the “why.”

I know, I was just kidding :). What sucks for me is that the next town away doesn't have to do emissions. I've always found it odd for the state to only emissions test certain counties/zip codes and not the entire state.

Only certain more densely populated areas here in Pennsylvania. Cars with CEL's will not pass; they usually get sent to my rural country where it goes through a sticker slap inspection station where it will eventually rot in half after another year. Fulton county, where cars come to die :LOL:
Yeah, I just replaced the after cat O2 sensor on “ole bluebird” other night. Next day driving check engine light went out 🍺🇺🇸

I know, I was just kidding :). What sucks for me is that the next town away doesn't have to do emissions. I've always found it odd for the state to only emissions test certain counties/zip codes and not the entire state.

In these cases its really intended to tackle localized air quality. Georgia it is only required in the Atlanta Metro area (13 counties) because the city has and still struggles with air quality issues during the summer, meanwhile pretty much the remainder of the state has no such issues.

Guessing its similar situation in Illinois (guessing you live around Chicago?).

In these cases its really intended to tackle localized air quality. Georgia it is only required in the Atlanta Metro area (13 counties) because the city has and still struggles with air quality issues during the summer, meanwhile pretty much the remainder of the state has no such issues.

Guessing its similar situation in Illinois (guessing you live around Chicago?).

That makes sense. I live in the county furthest from the city that does the testing. Amusingly if you drive 2 minutes down the street the zip code and county change and they don't have too lol.

13 counties in GA.

A whopping
That 3% would be much higher if the emissions requirement was not in place so clearly the system is working - facing the prospect of a very expensive expired registration ticket is enough motivation for people to get their cars fixed or trade it in. I'm pretty certain there are a boatload of folks that would just continue motoring on with a CEL on if they could continue registering their vehicle no problem.

Back