Counties with emissions testing

I came across this website that makes mention of various counties that require emissions testing, however, as usual, there was no date on it. Here is a screen shot. if you live in any of those areas, can you confirm that emissions testing actually goes on? I was thinking that such testing was going by the way side. The screen shot did not take in the states past Nebraska. (Sorry).

6D401EB9-DA46-4879-B820-A7F1C6A0E750.png

Last edited:
Got tired of looking for the link; my state was omitted (curious how they state it). I'm not sure about actual testing; I thought CA was still doing that but for pre-OBDII vehicles (until the 1967 cutoff or whatever). "Actual" as in hooking up a sniffer and measuring.

I do know that for NH they just plug in and check for readiness monitors: if the ECU thinks all is well, then all is well for the test. Until one has a 20 year old or older car, in which case it is exempt. That is a state-wide rule, not by county. OBDII with all of its software checks is being assumed to be able to properly monitor emissions.

Ohio does in Summit and Cuyahoga. For OBD II vehicles they just plug in the computer and check the gas cap. If you don't have check engine lights and your readiness monitors are good, then you're probably fine. Cars older than 25 are exempt, which is good for the MG (no, I don't have historic vehicle plates).

There are also different levels of "emissions testing" as others have noted, here in the five county EPA non-attainment area in southeastern Wisconsin they no longer use tailpipe sniffers (we used to) but it has gone to an OBDII test. I noticed this area isn't on your list since it ends with "N".

Still blows my mind that an annual safety inspection isn’t required in all states.
Agree 100%. I recently moved to a state without. It is amazing the number of cars I now see parked with well worn tires that would have never passed the annual safety inspection back in NY.

Indiana is also correct.

On a side note, when I bought the Dakota, the State (IL) had the county wrong for the first 4 years. I'd correct it on the renewal and they'd move it to a different, but still wrong county. Funny thing, once the truck became eligible or testing, they finally got the county correct and I started getting notices to get it tested...

Still blows my mind that an annual safety inspection isn’t required in all states.
Florida is one of those states. I agree, worn tires can be an issue, but whats surprising is that you don't see a lot of "rust buckets" running around.
I also don't think that accident rates attributable to tires/brakes/rust/windshield damage, etc. is any higher than any other state.
Now, unsafe drivers, aged drivers, visitors unfamiliar with the roads, that is another matter.

Pennsylvania used to be the worst. Annual inspection + emissions test for every car, regardless of age. Now, older cars had different emission limits of course.

Yes, metro Chicago and St. Louis have OBD testing every other year. Odd model years are tested on odd years. Why we still do this is for another thread.

In Virginia every county in the northern part of the state requires it. Fortunately for me I live in the southern part of the state so none of that ridiculous stuff for me.

CA is every 2 years for 1976 an up. New cars exempt for 6 or 7 years...
There is no official safety inspection but you can get a fix-it ticket.

I used to remove the sidepipe headers on my '68 Vette every 2 years and bolt the stock exhaust manifolds back on.
Hook up the smog pump, set the timing to 4* BTDC, lean out the idle mixture screws and take her in.
If I ever buy another classic, it will be '75 or older.

Florida is one of those states. I agree, worn tires can be an issue, but whats surprising is that you don't see a lot of "rust buckets" running around.
I also don't think that accident rates attributable to tires/brakes/rust/windshield damage, etc. is any higher than any other state.
Now, unsafe drivers, aged drivers, visitors unfamiliar with the roads, that is another matter.

Pennsylvania used to be the worst. Annual inspection + emissions test for every car, regardless of age. Now, older cars had different emission limits of course.

I’m talking abouto dangerously loose front end parts. Things that could come apart and cause a serious accident.

Rotted brake lines are an aspect of rust that cab also cause a serious, perhaps fatal, accident.

TX have OBD-II test in counties where the big metroplex is in like DFW, Austin, Houston, El Paso, San Antonio (?).
May be sniff test in some county.

Here is the link:

I’m talking abouto dangerously loose front end parts. Things that could come apart and cause a serious accident.

Rotted brake lines are an aspect of rust that cab also cause a serious, perhaps fatal, accident.
I don't disagree with you, but would like to see the evidence that states with annual safety inspections have a statistically significantly lower incident of motor vehicle injuries and deaths vs states without annual safety requirements.

Unfortunately Nebraska has nothing, all you have to do is drive around and it's fairly obvious. Bald tires, mufflers dragging, tail lights out and these are just the things you can see, I would hate to look closer.

Back