Could this be oil brand related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0 V6 181k miles

Always used Mobil 1 10w-30 full syn for most of the oil changes...some 5w-30 at times. No oil leaks except for the valve cover gaskets which has been changed.
Last oil change, I went with NAPA 5w-30 full syn and have noticed oil on the bottom of the bell cover housing..assuming an area where the rear main seal leak would show. Doesnt drip on the ground.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
13 years and 180K miles are tough on seals.. I wouldnt blame any oil.

Good answer.

Napa motor oils are made by Valvoline.

This is the reason HM oils were created, to try and prevent oil leaks in HM vehicles as they pass 100k miles and 10 years. .................. It might not be too late. An HM oil could possibly recondition seals enough to stop the leak.

Earlier VQ and transverse mounted, but my Quest had some oil at the bottom of the bell housing that I thought could be the rear main. Turns out it was just where it accumulated after seeping out of the valve cover gasket. I would see if there is any trace of seepage above that area and down from the valve cover, clean it up, and keep an eye on it. I wouldn't condemn the rear main just yet.

Guaranteed it's a coincidence. Oil blenders / manufacturers go to great lengths to check for compatibility and to ensure they protect seals but 180K miles and 13 years is more likely the culprit.

Of all the cars I have seen over the years, the older ones and the ones prone to leaking oil never cared which oil was used and always leaked if they were known leaker's or had seals that had issues as they aged.

You can try a thicker grade or high mileage oil but it will have to be replaced eventually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 28oz
Earlier VQ and transverse mounted, but my Quest had some oil at the bottom of the bell housing that I thought could be the rear main. Turns out it was just where it accumulated after seeping out of the valve cover gasket. I would see if there is any trace of seepage above that area and down from the valve cover, clean it up, and keep an eye on it. I wouldn't condemn the rear main just yet.

Good point. I will clean the area really well and watch it. Pretty sure it started after brand change though probably coincidence.

Originally Posted by dawgn86
2006 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0 V6 181k miles

Always used Mobil 1 10w-30 full syn for most of the oil changes...some 5w-30 at times. No oil leaks except for the valve cover gaskets which has been changed.
Last oil change, I went with NAPA 5w-30 full syn and have noticed oil on the bottom of the bell cover housing..assuming an area where the rear main seal leak would show. Doesnt drip on the ground.

Yes it could the new oil cleaned a false seal and now you have a leaker. But at that age and mileage you vehicle is due.

I have seen and heard of cars that have run on one particular brand of oil for many miles and when oil brands were switched leaks developed. It's not a constant but it can happen.

The same will happen if you run a conventional oil for many miles and suddenly switch to synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back