Costly mistake in time and money- chasing down a cut radio antenna wire

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
About 18 months ago I rebuilt a Lexus GX470 that had been in a front-end collision and the driver airbag inflated. On a Lexus, when a driver airbag inflates, the airbag control module requires replacement. On the GX 470, the driver airbag module is located deep down in the center section of the dash.

18 months ago while replacing the driver airbag module, I came across dozens of what I thought were aftermarket audio/ video cables controlling the DVD systems for the rear seat passengers. I cut out dozens of wires. I come to find out that the DVD system was not a factory system, but was a dealer installed option- but may not have been "aftermarket".

After replacing the airbag module, removing the rear seat DVD system wiring, and putting the interior back together, I noticed I lost AM radio, and 95 percent of FM stations. I (thought) I knew what happened, I cut the car radio antenna wire that runs to the car radio antenna. The antenna on this Lexus is a glass mount antenna, located on the rear glass window of the GX470.

I ordered a new antenna wire from Lexus about one year ago, about $200 USD IIRC. Went to install the replacement antenna wire yesterday. Could not find the wire, and I kept tearing things out in search. Still could not find the cut-out wire ends.

To make a long story short, the radio antenna wire does not run through the center console floor. It runs through the dash, up to the roof, and then to the rear window (drawing attached). It appears the factory, dealer, someone installed a one-foot radio extension cord, and that is what I cut (picture attached). I plugged in the factory radio antenna lead into the radio, and all stations come in.

This morning, I will put the Lexus interior back together, to include reinstalling the seats. I was "on a mission" tearing everything out trying to find the antenna wire- working in an area that the wire never was.

Life happens.
5662296654013766015.jpg
-7095169308295488901.jpg
-1687796417535542589.jpg
-3738038230097120943.jpg
a1_861800C.jpg

About 18 months ago I rebuilt a Lexus GX470 that had been in a front-end collision and the driver airbag inflated. On a Lexus, when a driver airbag inflates, the airbag control module requires replacement. On the GX 470, the driver airbag module is located deep down in the center section of the dash.

18 months ago while replacing the driver airbag module, I came across dozens of what I thought were aftermarket audio/ video cables controlling the DVD systems for the rear seat passengers. I cut out dozens of wires. I come to find out that the DVD system was not a factory system, but was a dealer installed option- but may not have been "aftermarket".

After replacing the airbag module, removing the rear seat DVD system wiring, and putting the interior back together, I noticed I lost AM radio, and 95 percent of FM stations. I (thought) I knew what happened, I cut the car radio antenna wire that runs to the car radio antenna. The antenna on this Lexus is a glass mount antenna, located on the rear glass window of the GX470.

I ordered a new antenna wire from Lexus about one year ago, about $200 USD IIRC. Went to install the replacement antenna wire yesterday. Could not find the wire, and I kept tearing things out in search. Still could not find the cut-out wire ends.

To make a long story short, the radio antenna wire does not run through the center console floor. It runs through the dash, up to the roof, and then to the rear window (drawing attached). It appears the factory, dealer, someone installed a one-foot radio extension cord, and that is what I cut (picture attached). I plugged in the factory radio antenna lead into the radio, and all stations come in.

This morning, I will put the Lexus interior back together, to include reinstalling the seats. I was "on a mission" tearing everything out trying to find the antenna wire- working in an area that the wire never was.

Life happens.
View attachment 215312View attachment 215313View attachment 215314View attachment 215315View attachment 215316
GON, you work hard on your vehicles. The Lexus seems like a car and I can understand why you would go through the trouble to make things work right. Is it quiet inside?

My BIL rented a late model Toyota 4Runner when he came to visit last fall. I was surprised by how truck-like the 4Runner felt. It seemed like it was very heavy duty, stout but also quiet at the same time. It felt like something that would last half a million miles with ease.

GON, you work hard on your vehicles. The Lexus seems like a car and I can understand why you would go through the trouble to make things work right. Is it quiet inside?

My BIL rented a late model Toyota 4Runner when he came to visit last fall. I was surprised by how truck-like the 4Runner felt. It seemed like it was very heavy duty, stout but also quiet at the same time. It felt like something that would last half a million miles with ease.
That's a good question. Maybe OCD, who knows. Generally I like vehicles the way they came from the factory.

This is some of the additional rear DVD system wires I found to pull out during this service. This is from the passenger seat. I am sure I will find the same at the driver's seat .
IMG_20240421_082421.jpg

That has to be frustrating. What a job.
Yes, especially when I went chasing after an antenna cable that didn't exist. I start thinking if it isn't going down the center floor of the SUV, it is on the passenger floor. No luck. Then pull apart the driver side floor- no cable.

All I can do now is laugh about it. Here is the SUV put back together.

2857134607112213106.jpg

Last edited:
Back