Costco seems a lot more crowded lately

I've been a Costco member for a long time. It seems over the last couple of years, my local warehouse (Huntsville, AL) is always a lot more crowded than it ever was pre-2020. It doesn't seem to matter what day of the week, it's always PACKED. I don't even go near that place on weekends anymore. Do you all notice the same thing in your local Costco, and if so, what is your opinion as to why the crowds have gotten so large?

Same here in AZ., It doesn't matter what day of the week, it's slammed. My theory is two-fold. 1.) Costco is one of the few companies that delivers and offers great products. People love shopping there because they believe in the brand (Kirkland) and get great customer service. 2.) Affluent demographic loves this store also. People want to "stock-up" on necessities since Covid happened. This and when you look at shopping other stores, there's not much competition to the Costco model.

Weekends are the worst, just went to our local Costco Sunday and it seemed like it was shoulder to shoulder shopping, but the people are courteous, no Karens or Kens making a scene, best time to go is Mon-Wed. :D

I've been a Costco member for a long time. It seems over the last couple of years, my local warehouse (Huntsville, AL) is always a lot more crowded than it ever was pre-2020. It doesn't seem to matter what day of the week, it's always PACKED. I don't even go near that place on weekends anymore. Do you all notice the same thing in your local Costco, and if so, what is your opinion as to why the crowds have gotten so large?
well, I live near Naples Fla... one of the faster growing areas in the USA and we used to have a summer season and a winter season... summertime was slow. wintertime was crazy..
but with unregulated growth and new housing and more people moving in to the area, the difference between summer and winter is less pronounced.

I generally try to go to Costco in the evening during the week to avoid the inevitable crowd of snowbirds,retirees, senior citizens and the regular customers who actually are supplying their restaurant or other food service business.

so maybe your area is experiencing growth .. or it could be temporary.

Has there been a decent addition of homes, condos, apts in your area and no new Costco?

here it is the case

The one in Delaware is always wall to wall people, even when most people are working. I'm specifically referring to the one near Christiana Mall. I just assumed it was because it was in Delaware which has no sales tax and most of the shoppers appear to be from Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Ours has been not as bad lately, I'm guessing because they built another location 17.1 miles away per Google Maps. We're about equal distance from both where we live at. The new one is definitely less crowded but it's also less convenient for us as it's not near other places that we frequently go to.

I always wonder how people are able to consume those gigantic amounts of food and other products. I mean, who wants to buy 132 ounces of ketchup?

Weekends are the worst, just went to our local Costco Sunday and it seemed like it was shoulder to shoulder shopping, but the people are courteous, no Karens or Kens making a scene, best time to go is Mon-Wed. :D
Around 5pm is usually very good time to go.

IMG_1168.jpeg

Proof that it does happen.🙂🙂

I think the "Stigma" if anything has worn off of Warehouse Clubs and now seen as the smart shopper goes there.
We belong to both Sams Club and Costco both have advantages and disadvantages for us. Yes, there seem to be more shoppers then ever.

Actually even the stigma of Walmart has worn off some. It shows in the price of the stock (WMT) Our last home was in a well known higher income area of SC. New Walmart opened there and you would almost feel like you didnt want to be seen there, until the day came that everyone started going there. (its one of the nicer ones being its new)

I don't go to Costco or Sam's Club anymore. I just email the list to my Daughter and she gets my stuff.

But I don't burden her with cold food. Mainly just toilet paper, facial tissue and paper towels. So it is not a weekly event. :)

Back