Cost effective Walmart available 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a walmart available 0w20 that can handle a 10,000 oci. This is for the toyota 3.5 engine. Toyota says 1 yr or 10,000 in normal use. I see Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP Quaker State UD, Casrol Edge, Valvoline, and Pennzoil Platinum/Pure Plus. I normally have used TGMO. But looking for a cheaper alternative that won't impact my MPG. Will these other oils go the distance or be comparable to TGMO. 80% highway 20% City usage. No towing, but temps are from 0 to 100+.
Thanks

M1 AFE 0W-20 is certainly up to the challenge. I used it for 15K and it had reserve to spare. It is also very cost effective at WM.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
M1 AFE 0W-20 is certainly up to the challenge. I used it for 15K and it had reserve to spare. It is also very cost effective at WM.

M1 EP is the same price and guaranteed to 15k with a higher group 4 (PAO) content as per the MSDS. I'm not really sure why AFE exists anymore.

I'm ok with AFE simply because I grabbed some jugs of the stuff for $3 each
laugh.gif

I'll second the rec for the Mobil EP. Good stuff.

I just bought some M1 EP 0W-20 at Wallyworld. As Bike Whisperer said, M1 AFE and EP are the same price and the additional Group 4 additives in EP make it the smart buy, if it is available.

If by cost effective you mean something cheaper than TGMO, I don't know that you'll find it.
NAPA syn is cheaper when NAPA has one of their periodic sales, but no 0W-20 is going to be cheaper at Walmart than decently priced TGMO.
The last TGMO I bought was a case I found on CL.
I paid $3.64/qt and I see TGMO 0W-20 on CL locally all of the time.
If I were shopping Walmart for 0W-20 oil, I think I'd just use AFE although EP looks good as well.
Given your driving, the NAPA syn, which appears to be relabeled Synpower, would be fine for 10K and is the only real deal in a 0W-20 synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
M1 EP is the same price and guaranteed to 15k with a higher group 4 (PAO) content as per the MSDS. I'm not really sure why AFE exists anymore.
M1EP is more at my WM than AFE by $3 or so. I am certain that AFE will go 10K with ease.

Yeah the TGMO was between 6 and 7 per quart from the dealer so no good deal there. I have no issue with it just looking for more of a deal. Looks like Mobil 1 it is. Do the Castrol Edge, Synpower, or QSUD just not cut it for a 10,000 interval or have a weak add pack?

In that case, any 0w20 will work for 10k in your case.

Some Walmarts are starting to get in Magnatec, which is full syn in 0w20 and 5w20. (the 5/10w30 Magnatec is a blend)

QSUD is also another good choice. Too bad they don't make ST syn in 0w20!

You just missed the Napa synthetic sale, but they do have it a few times per year.

AAP has Mobil Super Synthetic for $21.99 including the filter.

NAPA was running a sale on their syn for $3.79/qt or $22 for 5 and a filter a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it's still going. Is the 3.5 a new engine or one with a (possible) sludge issue? I'm not educated on the Toyota motors.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Group 4? M1 EP? I doubt it.

I just downloaded a Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 Safety Data Sheet dated 12 Mar 2014. On Page 2, Section 3, it states that it contains "Complex Substances" of 1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED, Concentration- 60-70% (by weight).

If you research 1-Decene, Homopolymer Hydrogenated, it returns synonyms of PAO (polyalphaolefin), a Group 4 oil. With my very basic knowledge of oils, it looks to me like M1 EP 0W-20 is about 60-70% Group 4 PAO oil.

BTW-Another website lists 1-Decene, Homopolymer Hydrogenated as an ingredient in many widely known hair shampoo brands. Kinda unsettling actually...

Last edited:
Quaker State 0w20 will be the cheapest assuming your WM carries it. If I didn't have a stash, it'd be my go to synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Quaker State 0w20 will be the cheapest assuming your WM carries it. If I didn't have a stash, it'd be my go to synthetic.

+1 here.

It's chock-full of goodness too.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June%202014/quakerstate.htm?utm_source=July+3%2C+2014&utm_campaign=7-3-2014&utm_medium=email

Check that calcium and moly out!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back